Chair and Desk Refinish – Craft Room Makeover – Extreme Upcycling

$30
2 Weeks

In this post, I am sharing another project in my craft room makeover series. My craft room is almost completed but this desk and chair were still awaiting their turn at being transformed.This desk isn’t a high-end piece of furniture but my mother used it before she handed it down to me so it does have some sentimental value. Since my ownership of it, I have painted it twice but my plan was to paint it again. In a recent project, I stripped the paint off of two dressers to stain them and I wasn’t really feeling too keen on stripping a whole lot more paint off of this desk and chair.

I was however curious about what the wood looked like and I thought it would be pretty to have a solid wood stained top. So I used some klean strip paint stripper to get down to the wood finish on the top of the desk.I recently heard about a product called liquid sandpaper which is supposed to be a substitute for stripping and sanding, so I thought I would give it a try. To be honest I don’t feel like the liquid sandpaper really did anything to the finish but me being me I went ahead and painted the desk anyway.I am not usually a pink person but I am trying to use up the supplies that I have and I seemed to have more pink paint than any other color. So after I applied a coat of primer I added a light pink topcoat.

To add some texture and more surface interest to the front of the desk I used some air dry clay and a Wilton fondant mold to create the same finish that I used the lamp project from a few weeks ago.

The clay was used to decorate the drawer fronts, to create decorative drawer pulls and to add some texture to the back of the chair.Once all the clay was dry I added the paint colors and then the polycoat finish.

It's pretty girly but I like it. :-)

Here it is in its actual place “under” the  cardboard Cheshire cat tree.

You can find more details for this project in the attached video.

Thanks for taking a look at my project. If you would like more upcycling project DIY's or Green Product Reviews please visit my blog or Youtube channel to subscribe.

25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab