Give A Dresser A Whimsical New Life With Stripes, Patterns, & Flowers

$85

I saw this Ethan Allen dresser for sale on one of the yard sale sites and just had to have it! It was super cheap, and as I scrolled through the photos, I saw why. The 2 front edges/corners were chewed up by a precious pup, they were completely rounded. Even tho I knew it would be a major task, I just had to tackle it!

First and foremost is the prep. Regardless of what paint you're using, the prep is necessary. Don't fall for the "No Prep" gimmicks. I love to use Frenchic's Sugar Soap to clean my pieces before painting. It gets rid of all of the dirt, grime, and years of built up residue. Just spray it on, wipe it down. If it's a really dirty piece, use a scrubbing sponge and really get in there! Then do a quick wipe down with plain water. Once the piece is dry, make any necessary repairs and do a scuff sand over the entire piece using 220 grit sandpaper. This piece had a faux finish on it and painted flowers on the front that were raised a bit, so I had to sand down most of the piece to make it smooth. The top was completely sanded down to bare wood and stained with Retique It's Dark Walnut gel stain. Just wipe it on, then wipe off the excess.

To repair the corners, I used the hot glue and Bondo technique that I've shown a few times before. I made a hot glue mold of the top edge and corners, filled with Bondo, smooshed it into place, then sanded and shaped. Here is a link to one of my other tutorials that goes more into depth about the process http://www.hometalk.com/44250170/how-to-rescue-an-antique-dresser-that-was-destined-for-the-trash</p" target="_blank">http://www.hometalk.com/44250170/how-to-rescu...>

Once the prep is done, it's time to paint. I chose Frenchic Furniture Paint in Loof, the perfect deep black! I only needed one coat, and then a second coat in areas. Frenchic paints offer amazing coverage! Especially the darker colors

Sand with 320 grit sandpaper in-between coats and after the final coat for a smooth finish. I also did some slight distressing on this piece. Don't worry about the chalky look after sanding, the wax or topcoat will smooth it all out

Now it's time for all of the details. I took the all new decor transfer, "Lush Floral II" by Redesign with Prima, cut out some flowers that I wanted to use, and applied them to the bottom of the sides and one large flower on the bottom. This transfer is huge! It offers 6 sheets of beautiful and colorful flowers. I've already gotten 2 projects done with this one transfer, and have leftover pieces for one more!

After the transfer is applied, take a dry rag and rub the transfer to remove any air bubbles and make sure it's completely adhered

Grab your tape and metallic glaze or wax, then lay out your stripes. The thin frog tape is my favorite for stripes. The width is perfect for a spacer!

The top drawer front needed something different and I just love the harlequin pattern! It's easy to make an old world look using Frenchic's gold Frensheen

To do a distressed look using the metallic glaze, just put a dab on your finger and lightly swipe over edges that would naturally distress over time

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

The hardware got a complete makeover as well! And once everything dried, the entire body was sealed with clear wax and then 2 coats of Finishing Coat on the wood top

For the finishing touches, I added contact paper for the drawer liners as well as on the drawer sides for a peek-a-boo effect

Everything that I used on this piece is available in my Etsy shop and linked below in the materials section

You can check out more of my work and follow my Journey by liking my Facebook page (linked below) or follow me on Instagram 😁

I truly hope this has inspired you to create something beautiful ❤️

Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers

To see more: https://m.facebook.com/deerrunrevamps/?ref=bookmarks