Asked on Feb 12, 2020

Should I remove the metal accents on this nightstand?

Simple Nature DecorBetsyHomeroad
+11

I already asked this question but I have more questions about the piece. Thank you for all of your advice! Don't know what I'd do without you guys. Quick Update to my question: should I pull off these metal accents to paint them or leave them on and paint around them then cover the nightstand to spray paint them? I'm worried I wont be able to reattach them. Do I just nail them back in or glue them? Also one is missing. Can I order one similar? What are they called? If not I have polymer clay I can try to recreate it? Also should I remove the feet to paint or can I leave them on. If I leave them on should I do them first or after. I think I'm gonna do them a metallic gold. I haven't decided if I'm going to do a teal witn a stain on top, white or gray with a pop of color inside, or the Annie sloan graphite. I'll figure it out as I go. Here are some closer pictures.

• I would remove them and see of they will polish up. Many times they will. If you want to paint them, leave them on. Since one is missing on the bottom, you have 2 options. You can refashion one using clay, like you suggested, or remove the other one on the bottom and add two different pieces that match. These could be made of wood. I can't wait to see what you do!

• Tinyshoes

Leanne...yes.. remove them & clean well. Good luck & send pic when you finish please

• Kathy Gunter Law

If you can, I would leave them on. But after seeing the close photo, you might be able to clean and polish them to achieve the "shiny" metallic gold you want to achieve. Since one is missing, that makes it tough. Maybe leave both off on the bottom and only have the top pieces? If you do remove, it appears they are nailed with tiny brads so re-attach with the same. They are usually found in the framing section (like picture frames).

As for the feet, I would not remove unless you are sure it's an easy on & off. Paint the piece first with them tape off. A week later, just to make sure it's 100% dry, cover the piece with tape & newspaper. Then do the feet.

I can't wait to see the finished piece. Very excited fro your find.

• Laura Cooper

I agree with removing them. It appears that they nail on, so if the nail holes underneath are loose, putty those with wood putty that hardens to ensure the metal details nail back on. To clean them, put them in a pan of boiling water. The temperature changes will release buildup from the metal with minimal work. I would avoid gold metallic paint, personally. I've seen it used and I think it cheapens it. Just my opinion....

I would remove the metal pieces to clean and finish them. Looks like three nails hold them in. Trying to fabricate the missing one would not be easy. Replacing both bottom ones with some decorative wood blocks would. I would not remove the feet unless they come off easy without any damage to them or the cabinet. You can tape around them, clean them, and paint. Do the feet first.

• Nan W.

Leanne: I would make a clay mold of the top one. (see link). Then a simple plaster cast can be poured into the mold. Trim and then glue on.

I would paint the entire thing with chalk paint, as you mentioned! ...and finish with a dark wax.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Clay-Mold/

• Dee

Take the accents off and put in a pot of boiling water and let sit for about 20 minutes and all the gunk will come off. You could then spray paint them gold. Looks like they are attached with finishing tacks so should be easy to remove.

If the feet are screw in types they can be removed. But they are really nice. I would just sand down and paint.

Just thinking if you do not want to paint or take off the metal accents on the top you can get Rub and Buff at Michaels or Hobby lobby.

• Robyn Garner

I think rub 'n buff on the accents would be better than paint. I would remove them to clean & polish. You can replicate the missing piece by making a mold with hot glue. Cover with hot glue and allow to cool. Carefully peel it off and fill the mold with bondo and then when dry, glue it on where the piece is missing.

I'd leave the feet on. Have fun and enjoy your work!

• Leanne

Thank you. So should I fill the inside of one of the accent pieces with hot glue?

• Johnavallance82

Hi,

No I would cover the outside with the glue, otherwise the mold will be too small to fit right.............

• Robyn Garner

No - you cover the intact piece of ornamentation with hot glue on top of it (the part that shows & is the ornamental part) to make a mold of it. Carefully peel the MANY layers of hot glue off once dry. Support the mold and fill it with Bondo and when that hardens you have a copy of the accent piece to glue where it's missing on the other side.

• Homeroad

I would paint right over them. It would look like something is missing without them. Use a chalky paint that sticks to metal.

Hi Leanne: That's a beautiful piece of furniture! What I would do is to just pull them away from the table a bit so that you can put a piece of cardboard under them and then clean or paint them. Once dry, you can paint or stain the wood underneath them. Then, using a small hammer, cover the nails with the cardboard and gently tap the nails back in. I'd go ahead and make another one, if you can, using the bottom one as the pattern. Try to find similar nails to pound the nails back in. If you can't, the hardware stores usually have decorative nails. If the holes are too big for the nails to set tightly, just fill the holes with toothpicks. They will fill the hole and you can nail right into them. Good luck.

• Simple Nature Decor

They are easy to remove and put back on. the gold sounds amazing.