How to Plant Lavender in Containers

$35

Lavender is such a pleasant flower to grow. However, if you live in a harsher climate, you may have trouble keeping it through the winter. Planting it in the ground may not be for you. Perhaps trying it in a container would be a better option. Mine rarely makes it through the winter in the ground. I have been treating my lavender as an annual, so I decided a container would be a better option for me.

Freshly planted lavender in a farmhouse tub. Choose a container that is fairly large as some varieties can grow up to 24" tall. This one is similar to mine. If you have the space, you could even try bringing it indoors for the winter. You would need to keep it in a very sunny spot.

Step 1: Prepare your container, drill several drain holes in the bottom. Lavender does not like wet roots. We used a 3/8" bit on the drill.

Step 2: Fill the bottom of the container with some pebbles or broken terra cotta. This allows the water to drain, but not too fast.

Step 3: Lavender likes loose soil that drains well. Mix 2 parts soil to 1 part sand.

Step 4: Enlist a cute little helper and fill the tub with your newly mixed soil.

Step 5: Remove your plant from the container. This variety is Hidcote.

Step 6: Loosen the roots of your plant

Step 7: Place the plant in a nice hole in your mixed soil. Space plants several inches apart.

Step 8: Pat the soil firmly around your plant.

Step 9: Care for your Lavender. Now, you must know what lavender likes for location. Place your lavender where it can get 6-8 hours of full sun everyday. Lavender can even tolerate a bit of drought. It must have plenty of sun though. An occasional nitrogen rich fertilizer will also help. Mulch is a great way to improve air circulation and help with growth. A light colored pebble or even straw is a great mulch for lavender. Do not over-water your lavender. Let it get dry between waterings, touch the soil to check for moisture.

Also, regular pruning, cutting the flowers back right at the base after the flowers open will promote growth as well. At the end of the season cut the plant back by half.

Enjoy your fragrant and beautiful lavender. If you enjoy farmhouse style, gardening, crafts or cooking from scratch, you may enjoy checking out my blog The Everyday Farmhouse!

Jenn Dynys

• Mary Dodge

What do you do with the tub in the winter?

• Jenn Dynys

Yes, you could try to keep it through the winter in a sunny location inside!

• Sharon

I would like to root some lavender from cuttings. Should I pot my cuttings or root them first

• Jenn Dynys

My understanding is that you can root it in sandy soil. Hardwood or softwood will work. I have not done it myself yet!

• Lois

How would this do on the very sunny, hot summers of South Carolina? Could this be covered with plastic in the winter when we get those cold, sometimes frosty mornings, making it like a greenhouse? I love the container idea as our soil is clayee.

If that is such a word?

Yes Kara is precious.

• Jenn Dynys

Lavender does well in hot and dry, so it should do well through the summer. As for winter I just don’t know as I’m not familiar with your climate. It seems like keeping the frost off would help, but I don’t know if the cold would cause it to go dormant?

• Laverne

Thanks I have a lavender plant and now need to replant it. Your help was very good.

• Cathy Hays

I love Lavender! I am Lucky enough to live where I can have it in ground as a perennial but I love how this looks in a metal tub. Now I just need to recruit a helper as adorable as yours!