Wood Mantel

$30

My mother in law recently decided to update her living room and trusted Nate and I to give her fireplace a little face lift. In order to achieve the look she wanted, we built her a new wood mantel!

Before
After painting

First, I painted her fire place Valspar bistro white in an eggshell finish.

Essentially, we just wrapped her existing mantel top with wood.

For the top piece we used a 1x12. We measured and cut that to size, then nailed it into the existing mantel top using 1 1/2” brad nails.

Next we measured each side and nailed a 1x6 to the top piece of wood once they were cut to size.

Next we measured the front portion of the mantel. We cut a 1x6 to size and nailed it to the front of the mantel.

Using wood filler, we filled the holes and cracks joining each piece together.

We then sanded it down until it was smooth. Wiped it free of dust and particles. Then stained the wood filler to match the wood. It’s stained in Provincial by Minwax.

To finish it off we sealed it with three coats of matte polycrilic.

If you choose to do this project, your measurements will be different than ours, however the same process can be used.

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock

• Mar
    Mar

i love the use of natural wood for a farmhouse look for the mantel, but the marble is very formal looking. We're you going to change the marble at some point also?

• Kristi
      Kristi

Marble isn't formal looking in my opinion. I think the whole look looks beautiful together ... and besides what we think - if Momma's happy, it's perfect ! Thank you for sharing this beautiful DIY with us Nikki !! Hoping to try it myself

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Much better look with the white surround and beefier mantel. But - why didn't you remove that outdated wall mirror and replace with a framed one? I think it needs that finishing touch.

• Lori Ward-Laatsch
    Lori Ward-Laatsch

This is exactly what I was wondering if it was possibly to make it look like you have. I am going to cover over the ugly dark mirror box things on my fireplace, no idea what is behind that mirror and afraid to find out so I decided to do a cheap peel and stick tile on it, after failing with peel and stick wallpaper that the pattern didn't line up and bubbled up too. Any way then I thought the mantel is kind of small, it looks like it goes all the way to the wall but the weird mirror box covers it. Long story short I would need to have it cut to wrap around the box I see from your pictures. Do you think I could make the mantel come out farther using this technique?

• Gayle
    Gayle

I think the mirror is pretty.. but if you wanted why not use your peal and stick on a piece of wood stained to match your mantel and frame it and take down when you want a new look..

• Grace
    Grace

It looks great. I couldn’t remove my fireplace mirror so I just put up a wood look peel and stick wallpaper

and it looks great too.