Asked on Feb 13, 2020

How do I install a car lift?

Lifestyles HomesRedcatcecBetsy
+5

• The type mechanics use? If so, this is not a DIY project.

• Lucky Home Today

I think that really depends on what manufacture your thinking of using. There are so many hydraulic options depending on the size of your garage.

• Gk

Hello David! Don't know whether this is a god DIY project or not. Some people would have the skills to do it correctly and others may think they have the skills to do it correctly but find out quickly that they don't. Considering the safety issues involved I would consider a professional install. Here's some info for you.

https://blog.jmcautomotiveequipment.com/the-complete-guide-on-installing-a-2-post-car-lift-for-your-shop-or-garage

qualitylifts.com/car-lift-installation.shtml

• Janice

Hi David, here's a video that may help. There are a couple more available as well. Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmszrJCmwFs

Hi David: I'm thinking that this is not a DIY project. One thing you will really have to have is a thick concrete pad under the lift, at least, the very least, 8". And, be sure you have enough head space to hold a large pick up truck so that you can walk under it. My friend has one in his garage and he loves it. He's a retired auto mechanic - well, he says he's retired, but he works in his garage every day :) Check out all brands and types and see which one suits your needs. Good luck.

• Redcatcec

Hey David,

I am beginning to agree with the idea this is a professional project rather than a diy one. Have you checked with your regulatory agency to see if this is something you can do within your zoned area? Or if this is a commercial vs residential situation, you may need a permit. Along with this you may need an inspector to make sure all requirements are being met for safety and insurance coverage. Everyone would be very upset if there was an accident or injury. Best to you.

• Lifestyles Homes

Having had a car lift, I first had the garage floor constructed with welded wire mesh and then 3500 psi concrete @ 6” thick.

Standard garage floors are 2500 psi, 4” thick and no welded wire mesh.

I would find out what the manufacturer specifies, as it would be catastrophic to have the floor fail and your car fall off the lift and it all crashes into something else.