Asked on Feb 13, 2020

How can I make a background for a Scrabble piece project?.

EmCindyBetsy
+15

Good afternoon y'all. I have a picture frame that I am putting all my immediate family names and pictures on. How or what do I decorate the background with..I'm stuck.I'm thinking a stencil.Now how to get it started out straight for all of them to line up...??

• Kathy Gunter Law

You could do grids on the entire surface like a scrabble board. Paint a solid color then using a ruler mark off and paint the grid lines in black. Add the letters for the final step.

• Tammy

Yeah that sounds good but I'm to lazy to go through all of that.

Thanks for your suggestion..!!

• Gk

A stencil would look very nice Tammy. You can draw a light pencil line to line up your tiles. Once you attach your tiles you probably wouldn't see the pencil line. You could stencil your background and then lay out your pattern to see how it would look. Take a picture with your phone once you have it the way you like it. Then go from there.

• Tammy

Thank you. I think this will be the way I will go..

Thanks for your suggestion..!!

• Recreated Designs

Could you use scrapbooking paper or wrapping paper for the background? It would make the tiles pop out...

• Cynthia H

Sometimes I use pretty fabric. Your stencil idea sounds great! You could measure out how you want them to line up, make a small mark for them to keep them straight. A clear ruler if you have one would help.

• Tammy

The stencil will most likely be my way to go.

I took a picture of the way the letters will go. Now my trick will be getting them straight.

Thanks for your suggestion..!!

• Homeroad

How about using some kind of scrapbook paper? They come in many decorative designs and are available at the craft store.

Hi Tammy: You could use some pictures of things your family did together, places you went, parties you had, etc. Good luck

• Tammy

Hi Besty,

Well I don't want to do that because I'm putting the grandbabies pictures on there where I can change them out as the get older.

Thanks for your suggestion.

• Cindy

Hi Tammy. Do you have any pictures of the house you grew up in? Or you could use a map of the town instead. Either one would make a great background and very personal. Good luck Tammy.

• Tammy

Hi Cindy,

A map sounds cute. To bad I didn't have one of the United States that would be big enough to fit my frame of 18x20.

I may just go with the stencil.

Thanks for your suggestion.

• Em

Can you use the Scrabble board itself and put the names on like as if you were actually playing the game and make it into a wall hanging. Frame the whole board and glue the names onto the board.