Asked 5 days ago

How can I make over these two relics from the 1970's?

Yvonne RoebuckDeeJanice
+11

Surely I can't be the only adult child to inherit these two pieces of furniture?!?The sad thing is, their age is really the only thing wrong with them.I was wanting to take the glass out of the tables and possibly upholstery or do mosaic, and paint, whitewash(?) the wood and bottoms...... but I have no idea how I would. (coffee table is 4x2 & two end tables 2x2².4) and maybe painting w new cushions for the chairs?Anyonelse notice the cane webbing in the bottom of the tables & back of the chairs MATCH?!?! HAHA

• Let's start with the tables. If you want to do a mosaic top, remove the glass and use it as a template to cut a piece of plywood to fit. This can be your base for a mosaic. The rest of the tables should be cleaned - I always start with Murphy's Oil soap. To whitewash them, you'll need to sand off the old finish. Maybe use some chalk paint and distress the paint with sandpaper? Then apply a sealer.

I would do the chairs the same way and recover the cushions in a fabric you like.

• Dianna Longoria

I absolutely love the chairs. I would redo the cushions in bright floral or geometric design

• Tom Stuart

I agree with Dianna about the chairs, they look great to me but could use a covering on the cushions which would go with your decor.

I would personally leave the glass in the top of the tables and put a new piece of wood in place of cane on the bottom. It could match the finish or this could be your mosaic piece.

Search Pinterest and Google until you find something that pops for you then go for it.

• Mogie

Color scheme permitting I have always though a dark blue looked classy on dining room chairs. Paint the caning white and if you have a beach theme it would work perfect.

• Cynthia H

If you dislike the caning in the chairs, you could spray paint the cane for a lighter look. Then use a fun fabric that picks up the other colors in your room for the cushion, or in a coordinating lush fabric. You could go safe and neutral or bold and bohemian with those chairs. I keep picturing them in fuschia or turquoise, but, that's just me. What's your favorite color?

• Kathy Gunter Law

I would go with either dark stain or metallic finish. Change the seat cushion to an updated pattern that would go with your choice, I would with a bright contrasting for dark stain or a subdued pattern for metallic.

It all depends on the theme you want the room to have. You could also go with beach feeling with white and aqua accent.

• Lifestyles Homes

if you spray paint the cane, it may flake off, so clean it with alcohol before doing that.

If you want to coat the glass, do so on the back side. I’ve had Rustoleum’s “frosted glass” spray peel off, even though I cleaned it very well,first.

yes, redoing the chair cushions should be straight forward if you don’t mind the box-sides becoming less defined.

• Rosa

how about painting the chair black and seat with new cloth of flowers to bring out the black and all the flowers.. pattern..

• Chloe Crabtree

Have you considered painting them a fun color or just white, which can be done with spray paint and then reupholstering in a fun fabric?

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

What colour would look best in the place you want them to reside? Dark Blue, Dark Green, Orange, Purple, Turquoise, Lime Green. All would look great in the right place. Cushion could tone in or contrast! It's really personal choice.......Enjoy your new acquisition!! Fun Project............

• Simple Nature Decor

Love the chairs, I would paint them a light color and change the fabric on the cushions to match.

• Janice

All your pieces could be updated using most any colors you love. You could change up the look of the tables by spraying the bottom side of the glass with frost paint so the glass isn't so see-through and give the tables a more modern look. I can envision the pieces looking great in many different colors, but it will totally depend on your decor style and the look you want to express. What fun to do a makeover of all these items. I had those exact same tables from Lane Furniture Company in the late 70's

• Dee

I love those chairs and glass table. You could paint the table and then use etching cream on the glass as an update. The cane can be painted but I would just clean it well and paint the wood on the chairs. I would get some nice fabric and redo the seats, It is not hard. No sewing involved. These are beautiful pieces

• Yvonne Roebuck
    26 minutes ago

With the chairs I would weave a design with twine in between the holes and upholester the cushions with canvas.

The tabletops using wood cut to the size of the glass and cover it with burlap.