Asked 4 days ago

How can I repair a heater that is not blowing hot air?

KmdreamerSimple Nature DecorBlack Hills Rosie
+10

Furnace comes on every 10 minutes. Heat does not blow hot. Furnace is 3 years old. Feel a vibration. Temp. is set around 72 to 74. House is only 1,000 sq ft. Company says new units don’t blow as hot as the old ones did.

• Recreated Designs

I have a fairly new furnace and it doesn't seem to do the job the old one did by any means :( They also told me that the new ones don't last nearly as long. Is yours gas? I was having a similar problem and for me, the sensor needed to be cleaned. It only took a few minutes but once it was cleaned the problem resolved. It had buildup on it and so was triggering it to turn off every 5-10 minutes. Good luck! Hope you are able to figure it out.

• I would call a professional to look at it.

• Is it still under service warranty? Could you have them back for a check and repair if needed?

• Redcatcec

You are probably still under warranty, give them a call. Have the make and model numbers ready, you'll probably be talking to their hotline where they can guide you, the homeowner, on what basic things you can do to troubleshoot before getting service.

One thing I would suggest if to check the filter and make sure it is clean or recently replaced.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Get a temperature gauge and check the air that is leaving the register. We had a new unit installed in 2019 and I agree, the air is not as hot as the 1999 unit it replaced. However, it is hot enough to heat our 2,800 square foot house.

If it isn't heating your home, it may not be the correct size.

• Janice

Hopefully your furnace is still under warranty. You should not be feeling a vibration. Perhaps it wasn't installed exactly correctly. I'd suggest getting the installer to come back and check the entire system out to see why the furnace is running so often. Not right to do that!

• Cynthia H

I agree with the others. If you can't utilize the warranty, or even if you can, check your filter, and get a trained HVAC person in to check it out. I have to change my filter monthly to keep it running efficiently. If you burn candles I've been told it gets dirty much faster. Please get it checked out.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Linda,

I have another idea. Have you had your furnace serviced every year? If not, that could be the problem. Condensation can build up inside the furnace and if wasn't serviced the ignition (I think that's the part) might not be working correctly. The reason it come on is that it's trying to work. You don't get heat because, even though it's trying to work, it can't because of the buildup, so it turns off. If you haven't had your furnace serviced each year, call a heating contractor and get someone out to fix it so it will work again. If you have been having your furnace serviced every year, ignore what I said but call someone in anyway. Something is not working right. Wishing you the best.

• Sharon

Another potential source of the problem maybe a draft hitting the thermostat. Hold a lit match or a lit incense stick in front of the thermostat to see if you have draft. If so fill it in with door/window caulk at the source. Also those those energy savers for outlets might reduce a draft.

• Johnavallance82

Hello

Linda,

Have Furnace & Heater Serviced it could be dangerous to leave it any longer...............May only need cleaning out, but unless you know what you are doing it could be very mucky.......

• Black Hills Rosie

Is it still under warranty?

• Kmdreamer
    22 minutes ago

Heating element