Asked 4 days ago

How can I make over this cabinet?

EmDeeJohanne Palange
+17

I would love some feedback on interesting ways to update a cabinet. I’m more traditional but I love bright and light. Subdued cottage.

• Rosa

how about painting the hutch (white) it would look so clean and bright with sunflowers stench on the cabinets..

• Tinyshoes

Bobbie...l would paint a light color..clean..sand if needed.. prime then paint...send pic when it's finished bet it's gorgeous

• Bobbie Moorr

I really like how clean and fresh that turned out. I’m thinking maybe that color but a tad lighter with a dash of teal. I’ll give after when it done. Thanks all!!

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Bobbie, the cabinet is beautiful. You could paint it with chalk paint any color or colors that goes with your decor.

• Gk

Here's a hutch in white! Not quite the same as yours but it may inspire you! There are lots of pretty light chalk paint colors if white isn't what you want!

https://www.hometalk.com/8365018/sunday-afternoon-project?expand_all_questions=1

• Mogie

If it was me I would white wash the item. That would still let some of the grain from the wood show thru but lighten it at the same time.

• Robyn Garner

I'd definitely remove the glass fronts - I really don't care for the fake lead lines and as a real glass sandblaster, I don't like the chemical etching. You can then leave it open, put in plain glass or even wire fronts!

Decide if you still want wood or paint. Chalk paint saves tons of time with prep and you can put a poly matte seal over it if you don't want any chipping (me!) If you want it to remain with a wood finish, you can strip it completely down to bare wood with CitriStrip (no fumes). Cover w/ plastic and scrape the gunk off in the morning right into a garbage can. How about an unusual stain like blue? I did a piece using blue wood stain and was surprised at how gorgeous it was!

How about a piece of gorgeous wallpaper in the back? Definitely get new hardware once you decide what you're doing with it. Black hardware, smaller hinges and more substantial pulls would be my vote.

Above all, have fun and be brave lol! 😎

• Kim

I agree that glass being removed,maybe replace glass with chicken wire

• chalk paint and distressed white finish.

• Pamela

Hi ! I would paint it white or a soft blue , gray , aqua ..coastal color and lightly distress it . Inside you can put beadboard , on the back wall and or on the front of the bottom doors . ( You could put wallpaper on the back inside wall instead ) I glued beadboard to the front of my kitchen cabinets to cover up the scalloped inset , using lock tight super glue , before painting them . Good luck with your project !

• Gk

In answer to your question about the background script on the hutch I posted. I didn't do the hutch. It was just an example picture I found. If you type in "script wallpaper" on your search home page a lot of script wallpaper will show up! Maybe you will find something you like!

• Janice

Maybe you would like it updated with a light grey or beige paint or even white. Then paint the interior with a bright splash of color you love or maybe a striped wallpaper for the inside. So many different combinations you could try. I'd use a small brush to paint the gold or brass on the glass and the hinges with a metallic grey to modernize it somewhat and minimize the distractions of the patterns of the trims.

• If you are still looking for inspiration, scroll through these:

https://www.hometalk.com/search/all?filter=Hutches%20and%20China%20Cabinets

• Johanne Palange

I saw a very pretty idea: you remove the doors from the top part, paint the outside a neutral color, then paint the inside of the top a popping color. Add lighting to the inside (maybe strip lights), put fancy wallpaper on the back wall of the upper cabinet, and you've got yourself a pretty alcove for decorative items.

• Dee

I would frost the glass with etching cream. You could put a nice wallpaper on the back of the cabinet or paint it a different color or stencil it. I personally like the gray/white colors. Clean well, sand lightly, use a good stain blocking primer, probably need 2 coats, then paint with eggshell latex paint. No sealing necessary with this, but use a good paint. I am not a fan of chalk paint. The wax needs to be reapplied every year, and poly can yellow.

• Dee

I do not know what happened to my answer. I would etch the glass or take it out completely. There are tin inserts you can buy at the hardware stores or Hobby Lobby. I would paint the back white and stencil it. I prefer the gray/white paints for this cabinet. Buy a good stain blocking primer, probably need 2 coats, paint with a good eggshell latex. If you have a spray painter use it, or get some good smooth cabinet rollers so no brush marks. I am not a fan of chalk paint. You need to re-apply wax every year, and poly yellows. Painting will seal itself.

• Em
    20 minutes ago

My first thought is chalk paint and remove the glass panels and add chicken run wire or larger chicken wire. If you love the leaded glass hang them in a window making a new frame for them. you can a color with stained glass paint.