Coastal Candle Upcycle

5 materials

I found these wooden candle holders in the free pile at a thrift store and immediately grabbed them. I brought them home, gave them a little love, and now they have new life as coastal candle holders. They remind me of drift wood and hanging at the beach! You can see more of my crazy creations here

Here are the original candle holders from the free pile. They are made from real trees.

I started by sanding off the original paint and clear coat on them. I wanted to get them back down to their raw form.

*I used my Black & Decker Orbital Sander, along with my protective eye wear.

Here's what they looked like once they were all sanded down. Check out the cool colors this wood had!

I wanted to give them a little color but yet still keep that incredible look they already had. I had wood tint on hand so decided to use it. I lightly painted one of them with Folk Art Home Decor Wood Tint in the color Cascade.

While it was still wet, I took a damp rag and wiped off the excess.

For the other candle holder, I painted Folk Art Home Decor Wood Tint in the color gray on it.

Once it was coated, I immediately took a damp rag and wiped off the excess.

I let them both dry completely. Both candle holders took on a little bit of the tint but not too much. This was just enough to give them that driftwood and coastal look I was going for.

I would love to have you stop by my blog   Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more.

*********************************************************

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/c/chascrazycreations

Chas' Crazy Creations

Questions on this post

Comments

4 comments
Next