Asked 4 days ago

How can I change the hardware on this piece?

EmJaniceSimple Nature Decor
+12

I have this furniture set that I’m repainting. I was going for a gray/gold theme. I have no idea how I can cut down the pieces of hardware or change them out because there are so many! Help!

Regular sized knobs

the Pulls are 10 inches long!

• Cynthia H

If you want, you could spray paint them any color you want, to freshen them up. There are all kinds ofmetallics, now. My favorites are made by Rustoleum, but, there are other brands available, too. Take them off, scrub them with a toothbrush after soaking in hot, soapy water. Let them dry, and spray them lightly, let dry and spray again. Once they look the way you want, a clear sealer sprayed on will protect your finish.

Here's a project where I redid mine:

https://www.hometalk.com/34804253/new-life-for-a-family-desk?expand_all_questions=1

Hi Nichole: First of all, I can see that the dog will be no help at all! :) I would keep the original hardware and either paint or clean them up. One thing I do with my hardware is to put a washer on the inside of the drawer where the screw goes and the nut goes on. This helps keep the nut from digging into the wood and is easier to remove. If you can find small washers to go on the outside that won't show, that will help to preserve the wood, too. Once you dig into the wood, it gets ugly there. Beautiful furniture! Good luck And, even though he's useless at projects, give the dog a hug and skritch behind the ears for me. :)

• you can spray paint them. Or fill the holes with wood filler and then make new holes for new hardware.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Nichole, this is Peggy. If you want to change the hardware you can paint it. If you want to change the hardware you can remove the hard ward, fill in the holes, sand and paint it. You will need to drill new holes for your new hard ware. Good luck with your project.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Nichole, cute fur baby   . I bet she's trying her best to help you out. I would keep the old hardware and spray paint them all to match the theme you're going for. They would look lovely and rich if you use gold.

Hardware looks good. You can clean them up, spray paint them or use Rub and Buff.

• Flipturn

Check out eBay for a huge selection of new hardware to replace the present ones, if you decide to go that route. Yes, purchasing individual knobs at retail cost will get expensive fast. However, savings can be found by purchasing in bulk amounts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12PCS-Diamond-Crystal-Glass-Door-Drawer-Cabinet-Wardrobe-Pull-Handle-Knob/143255648252?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20171012094517%26meid%3D8b213d4f8ae4477791bbd95306fdb47c%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D183944910740%26itm%3D143255648252%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

• Hi Nichole - I concur with the others - take the hardware off, spray paint them the color/style that you want and put them back. No issues about trying to match and find them! Good luck with your project. Hugs, Holly

• Johnavallance82

Hi there,

One at a time,is the key! Use a screwdriver (an electric one or battery would be quicker) or just paint them in situ.........

• Homeroad

You can remove the hardware and spray paint it or you can order new hardware. I like dlawlesshardware.com . They are inexpensive and have many to choose from.

• Pamela

Hi ! Just use a screwdriver to remove them , from the inside of the drawer . Take a count of how many knobs you need to replace , same for the drawer pulls . With the drawer pulls , use a ruler to measure the distance between the holes , to make sure he's ones will fit . If you find drawer pulls that you really want , but have a different distance , all you have to do is full in the old holes with wood putty , when it dries sand it , to blend of in , then drill new holes where you want them . If you have a hobby lobby near you , they have a great selection of all styles and types !!!

post your before and after ! Good luck !!!

• Dee

What beautiful furniture. You could also stain them in color from General finishes vs. painting the pieces. If staining I would make a dark top, and then poly it to prevent scratches. The people at General finishes could walk you through the process. The hardware is timeless, I would clean them by boiling some water, add some Dawn after you shut off the stove and place the hardware in the pot and let sit for about an hour. Then dry well, get a few pieces of styrofoam and poke holes for the hardware and spray paint with Rustoleum or auto primer. Let dry completely and then spray paint them either with Rustoleum or auto paint.

• Janice

To make the pieces "less busy" you could remove all the handles, figure out which ones aren't really necessary (perhaps just the larger ones on the bigger drawers) and fill in the holes with wood filler, sand the drawers well, then paint the entire piece in a color of your choice. All the hardware you're putting back on could be just a shade of two darker or lighter than the furniture so there's no so much distraction from the hardware. I bet it turns out beautifully.

• Em
    5 minutes ago

Order from Hobby Lobby. They have a HUGE amount of pulls and knobs for much less than hardware store. I love the selection and they deliver right to your door.