Asked on Feb 15, 2020

How do I remove stains from painted walls & appliances?

Cynthia HWilliamScarlet Paolicchi
+1

My painter who stained my cabinets has stained on my painted walls & on my Stainless Steel Applicances. How can i get the stain off. Tks.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Linda,

It depends on the type of stain. Try warm water with dish soap first. If it doesn't budge, you can try gently applying mineral spirits - especially if the stain was oil based. You should be able to get it off the appliances, but the walls might be a challenge. The worst case scenario would be that you'd need to cover the stain with Kilz then repaint that wall. :( If you can color match the paint color, that will help. Also paint from one corner to the next corner making sure that there is no paint put on the other walls. If the color is really close to the color on the walls, ending the paint job in the corner can make it look like it wasn't a "touch up". Here are some other ideas. Wishing you the best.

Try mineral spirits, WD-40, Dawn dish liquid and warm water. Krud Kutter only on the walls.

• Cynthia H

The painted wall may not come clean if the stain soaked in. All the methods mentioned previously are worth a try. Once you've removed as much as you can, you may need it to dry completely, seal it with Kilz or another quality stain sealer and repaint. I keep Krudkutter, Goof Off and Goo Gone in my supplies because with microfiber cloths, magic eraser and soft scrubbing tools like a toothbrush, you can get almost anything off a surface. Painted walls need a more delicate touch. Good luck!