Asked on Feb 16, 2020

How do I repair burn marks on my hardwood floor?

EmKmdreamerJanice
+8

Recently i had a huge mess and i need to fix it before my parents find out. Any ideas?

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Melanie, so sorry you burned your floor. I am not sure you can fix this without help. You may want to confess and offer to help your parents fix the burn. Good luck Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Surface Scorch Marks

1. Sand the scorch mark lightly, going with the grain, to remove the topmost layer of charred wood.
    2. Rub mineral oil over the scorch mark with a soft pad and then scrub the mark with fine steel wool, going with the grain. ...
    3. Scrape any remaining burn marks with a utility knife.

More items...

Removing Scorch Marks From Wood Flooring | Home Guides ...

homeguides.sfgate.com › ... › Troubleshoot, Fix and Repair

• Cindy

Hi Melanie. This floor needs to be sanded and re-stained. Sorry, I wish I had better news for you. You should probably come clean with your parents. Accidents happen.

• Cynthia H

I know how hard it is to confess when we created a mess or had an accident. My kids always did the good news, bad news explanation. For example: the good news is I limited the damage and didn't burn the house down . The bad news is that there is some damage, and I would like to help you fix it. It was truly an accident and I am really sorry.

My kids all learned that lying or hiding stuff from me never worked out well. All three made mistakes and learned to take responsibility. Your parents will get over it, as will you. It can be fixed. Good luck.

• Unique Creations By Anita

In my opinion you would have to sand it all back to remove all the burnt wood. Then stain and seal the wood again.

That is going to have to be sanded down to raw wood an a little beyond the burn. Then it can be stained and sealed. An orbital or palm sander would work with 150 grit sandpaper.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Own up when parents come back, and take the flack! They may have House Insurance that will come to the rescue!! After all, you could work really hard and still make an even bigger mess of it. Own up!!

• Vimarhonor

Hello damages this significant is too overwhelming to consider quickly repairing. Best advice would be to show your parents the problem rather than making the situation worse.

• Janice

It would be best to acknowledge that you burned the floor, apologize, and then ask your parents to let you help in the repair of the floor. If you try to do it yourself, you may end up causing more damage and your parents will be even more upset. Best to "confess" and not hide this from your parents. They've likely done something similar when they were your age and will be proud of you for coming clean and maybe suggesting some ways to remedy the problem. Be Brave!! :)

• Kmdreamer

Lightly sand it and re varnish it

• Em

If this is a burn then the wood has been charred and has to be removed down to a layer that is fresh wood. This area looks large enough that it needs extensive removal which is best done with a floor sander or at least a orbital sander. The stain may be hard to match but can be done. Once the floor is sanded and clean you can use a rag to dip into the stain and lightly add new stain. You can always add a second or third coat but once you put too much on it is too late. Using a rag instead of a brush allows you to control the amount of stain you put on. Really light coat with the first layer then add on. Just dip a rag into the stain and lightly start the first coat moving quickly to not saturate one area too much, rub and smooth out the area. It may need poly to match the area and can be tough to make it look like the old finish unless you know what you are doing. Ask for your parents help if you have never done this or you will end up with a worse mess than what you did.