Asked on Feb 16, 2020

How can I repair a chest of drawers that is falling apart?

FlipturnHolly Lengner - Lost MomUnique Creations By Anita
+9

I really don't want to have to throw it out, what can I use to keep this together please, and any ideas on making it more attractive, thank you xxx

• Nan W.

Linda: looks like this video was made just for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-qNq2Juz0c

Once you get it repaired, you can always simply paint it in a great color!

• Linda Sikut

Hi Linda,

This answer accidentally got put under a different question, but it looks like it was meant for you. This is a copy and paste of Janice answer. Wishing you the best.

Janice

An hour ago

Hi Linda, you can "sturdy up" each drawer by applying some strong glue to the sections and re-gluing and clamping or wedging the pieces back together in their appropriate places. E6000 is a strong glue to use. Apply a small amount to each piece you're gluing together and press and hold firmly for several minutes. It's even better to be able to maintain pressure on the two pieces for quite a while, perhaps by clamping or weight the pieces together. To make the piece look totally different you could paint in a lively color and paint the drawer pulls a different color. I can envision light grey drawers with black handles, or a navy blue with brass looking handles. I usually like to use a good quality spray paint for a brush-free surface.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Linda,

Remove drawers and check out and replace runners if they are worn. Turn on front and strengthen carcas at corners and also brace the back. Maybe add a backboard too. Turn up, replace drawers.

If a new look is required, Change handles or paint them. If you want to change the carcass you could paint it or colour gel stain it. If you want to change the look of the drawers, besides paint, you could use beading or embellishment etc. You could also wallpaper them or use Contact. It's a matter of choice! Enjoy the process......

Hi Linda: Seems like some of the rails on the sides have given up the ghost! You may be able to remedy this by regluing them. First, make a line with pencil or ink pen or something that won't rub off, where the rail is so that you can reposition them correctly. Then, remove the rails and clean all of the glue off that you can on the sides that held the rails and the rails, too. Once they are clean reapply glue to the sides and rails (one side of the dresser at a time, like the left, and have that side on the floor, facing up, so that the rails won't slip while the glue is drying) using either wood glue, E-6000 or Gorilla Glue. Don't use a thick layer of glue, just a thin one on each piece. Let the glue sit for about 15 seconds before putting the 2 pieces together. Then, using the lines you drew, put the rails back on and maybe something heavy to keep pressure on the part, but won't make them slip off of the line. 2 books on each side of the rail, and one on top should do the trick. Once therails are dry, I'd give them 24 hours to be safe, do the other side the same way. Slide the drawers in and if you're happy with the way they fit, you should be o.k. Maybe put a coat of wax or soap on the top of the rails to help them slide better at this point. If not happy, start over :( The sides of the dresser looks like it might be thick enough to use some short screws into the rails. You can do that, pre-drilling the holes and having the screws go no more than 1/2 way into the sides. Do this after you are happy with the way the drawers fit. This will give you additional structure. I'd do 3, one on each end and one in the middle, through the rail. Then, some new pulls and you should be done. Let me say that what happens to dresser drawers that look like this is that instead of using both pulls to open the drawer, people will pull on one and that makes the drawer come out crooked and messes things up, like your dresser is, so use both pulls:) A nice coat of paint and/or stenciling and Bob's your uncle! Good luck

• Unique Creations By Anita

You should be able to just glue them back together.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

You can use wood or Gorilla glue to glue stuff back together. I had a dresser and the drawer kept falling off the rail. It was really frustrating, but it turns out that when I moved the dresser (by pushing and pulling it across the room), it loosened somehow. My husband took the drawers out and pushed both sides of the dresser in and the drawers slid back in perfectly... hopefully that makes sense. There are also tons of videos on how to fix dressers.

• Flipturn

Linda,

Next time use furniture sliders. There are various brands in different sizes and shapes available. Here is one example.