Asked on Feb 16, 2020

How can I make a mosaic on a door window w/o taking down the door?

DeePamelaEm
+6

I have a weird bathroom door that has a translucent window. It lets in a lot of light, and I thought it could be a good place to make a mosaic design using some of the sea glass my son and I have collected. My question is, how can I do this, glue a mosaic in place, without taking the door down? Is there something I can glue everything on and then somehow fasten it to the window? Thanks.

• Janice

Hi Linda, you can "sturdy up" each drawer by applying some strong glue to the sections and re-gluing and clamping or wedging the pieces back together in their appropriate places. E6000 is a strong glue to use. Apply a small amount to each piece you're gluing together and press and hold firmly for several minutes. It's even better to be able to maintain pressure on the two pieces for quite a while, perhaps by clamping or weight the pieces together. To make the piece look totally different you could paint in a lively color and paint the drawer pulls a different color. I can envision light grey drawers with black handles, or a navy blue with brass looking handles. I usually like to use a good quality spray paint for a brush-free surface.

• Hi Meagan, this project uses grout, it sounds like you could do it while the door is hanging. Check it out. https://www.hometalk.com/28461203/vintage-windows-into-stained-glass-mosaics

• Unexpected Elegance

Here is a beautiful solution using piece of glass. I found it on Houzz.com.

You can also consider using window film:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Window-Treatments-Window-Film/N-5yc1vZarc3

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Had you thought to use Glass paint and Black marker to form artificial leadlight window, or you could use window Clings, or even Contact for Windows, or maybe a small curtain or decoupage of paper napkin etc............Have fun. Sea glass may slip when glued unless secured in place with tape, and then become a problem to clean, collecting the dust..................!

• Em

Use E6000 glue. It dries clear and holds immediately but does not dry so fast so you can reposition and move the pieces around with plenty of time before it sets.

• Pamela

Hi ! Are you talking about a mosaic of stained glass look ? For stained glass look , you can buy the supplies at a craft store , like Michael's . Get the puff paint in the lead color and glass paints in the colors of your choice . Place your design on the opposite side of the glass and draw the outlines using the lead puff paint . This paint puffs up a little , to give it dimension , like lead . Then fill in the areas in the colors you picked . If you are talking about mosaic , I would have a piece of plexiglass cut to the size of the window , at home depot . Then arrange your glass , tile or what ever you are using for the mosaic on the plexiglass. Lift each piece up and use a glue like E6000 , to glue it in place . Then hang it over the glass window . Good luck !

• Dee

You can buy mosaic window film on Amazon and at Home Depot. Check it out they have some really pretty films.