Forgot to take a TRUE before picture with the planter untouched, but I found this plastic terra cotta colored planter at the Dollar Tree and also grabbed some of their "nautical rope" as well. I brought out some extra yarn I have kept over the years, a hot glue gun, scissors and my hands to start this easy project.
Budget-Friendly Planter Upcycle
Took a trip to the local Dollar Tree and picked up some décor pieces.. I thought I'd upgrade a simple $1 plastic planter into something with a little more of a farmhouse/boho handmade touch.
This isn't required, but I chose to unwind the rope from 3 long strands and kept just one long strand. I did this because I felt the rope would be a little too thick for the planter, and I didn't want it to look so heavy next to the other yarn.
Pretty straightforward, but I just hot glued the rope all away around the planter until I used up the full strand. I considered using more, but I wanted to add different texture into the design so I felt that was enough. The nice thing about this project is you can use as much or as little material as you want!
I chose some neutral colored yarns I've had in my closet for awhile for the next steps.
I repeated the same process as before, hot gluing my yarn around the planter, and I decided to finish going all the way up the planter with white. When you wrap around the tighter yarn, you don't have to glue each layer (is that the right word? each piece wrapped around...you know what I mean). You can wrap several layers at once and glue every so often as it holds a lot tighter than the rope does.
This was how it looked once I was finished with the white. I was a little disappointed with some of the peeks of terra cotta, and I had wished I spray painted it beforehand underneath. But I had the dark gray yarn for a reason!
I chose to wrap and glue the darker gray around the areas that were kind of see-through to give it some texture, color and hide the thin spots.
Next, I cut out two pieces of rope for the handles of the planter. I didn't really measure them out, just estimated what would be a good length!
I hot glued them on the inside of the planter and made sure they were nice and sturdy. I may have glued them a liiiittle bit too close together, but it wasn't too bad of a difference so I just left it.
And alas, there's my new and improved little planter! I think it is so cute and I'll definitely be adding it to my plant family! For now I have a fake plant inside, which works just as well. I hope you guys have fun personalizing your dollar store pots!