Asked on Feb 17, 2020

Do you prefer an automatic gate or a garage door?

Johnavallance82SharonCheryl A
+9

I know both are separate things. But you know, there is similar too. My question is: If I use an automatic gate opener, then Garage door is mandatory or not?If you have experience, please explain. Thanks.

• Redcatcec

Hi David,

Your question is a little confusing, are you asking if you have a automatic gate opener is an automatic garage door opener necessary? Or do you need a garage?

Since you know they are separate things, the automatic gate opener will open & close the gate to your property by a signal from a device. That is all it does-which is allow access to your property.

Do you have a garage? If no, then you do not have to be concerned about garage door openers. All the garage does is protect the car from weather, kind of like a house for the car.

Inside the property do you have a garage with a door on it?

If you have a garage without a door, you can have one installed.

If you have a garage & If you want convenience, you can also have an automatic garage opener installed, this will make the garage door go up and down when the dedicated device is activated. It will provide privacy and protect your car.

An alternate is the garage door being manually operated, meaning you will have to get out of your car to open and close it, this is the cheaper way to go.

Hope this clears things up for you.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrDQrx1jUpeGF0AJgQPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Automatic+Gate+vs+Garage+Door%3F&fr=yhs-vz-vz&hspart=vz&hsimp=yhs-vz

• Cynthia H

Do you have both a gate and garage door to open? It can be annoying to have to get out of a warm car to open a gate and then again the garage door. Nothing is mandatory, but, rather what you want, can afford, and what works better for you and your family.

• David Valle

If you feel awkward to open and close a gate to get out and get into home, have a great solution is automatic gate opener. I love this way.

But my question was, if I use a gate opener then is it mandatory to use a garage door for my garage? Did you get my query, Cynthia?

Thanks anyway.

• Janice

I you have both a gate and a garage door, you'll need to "automatic" openers if you want to have them automated. Some one very technically savvy could possibly figure out how one "clicker/button" could serve a dual purpose and open both at the same time. Perhaps talk with a pro at a company who supplies garage doors w/openers or gates w/openers. Could get expensive!

• David Valle

Thank you so much, Janice. I've an automatic gate opener already. That's why I am asking to know is it mandatory to use the garage door for my garage? Got my point?

• Gk

I would have both if it would fit into my budget! If you had to choose, depending on the size and weight of your gate it might be cost efficient to NOT automate the gate because it might be easier to move than raising a heavier garage door.

Hi Dave: If I had to choose only one, I'd take the garage door opener. You can keep your things safer with your garage door closed, and your car will be warm and clean when the weather is bad. There is no handle on the garage door with an opener, so it can't be forced open easily. And, I'd have it installed as opposed to doing it myself, but that's just me:) Nothing is mandatory, you just get what you can afford. If you have to get one and the other later, I'd still go with the garage door. Hope this helps. Good luck

• Chloe Crabtree

I would want a garage door for the security it would provide my car, no matter if there is an gate or not.

• Mogie

Would you rather get out in the rain to open a garage door or a gate? For me the answer was easy because you are in the garage at least half the time opening and closing the garage door but you would be getting out twice every time for the car at night to open and close a gate. Believe me the gate has proven much more valuable for me.

• Cheryl A

automatic gates are more expensive to repair and maintain where as garage door openers are cheaper to install, purchase and maintain. It depends on what you are wanting to do and what kind of look you are going for. good luck

• Sharon

Here is a do-it-yourself gate opener, and then you can get the garage door too.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBYY-ervARc

• Johnavallance82

Hi David,

Do you really want folk to be able to see the contents of your Garage? Automatic Gate and Manual Garage door if that is not possible to have both! Hope that helps!