DIY Bed Canopy

$30

I wanted to put a canopy over my daughters cot/crib (for decor purposes - I move it when she sleeps) but couldn’t find one that I liked for a decent price, so I decided to make my own. 😊

Materials needed

I decided to use a sheer curtain with a hidden rod pocket for the material to save me from sewing 😉. I managed to pick one up from my local thrift store for a couple dollars. (The Ikea Vivan would also work great!)I then headed to my local craft store and bought a medium sized metal ring, some wooden beads and two small artificial flower arrangements that I liked. I had string, tape, glue etc at home so didn’t need to purchase any of that.Once I had all my materials, the first step was too cut the metal ring so that I could slide the curtain onto it. For this, I used a small hand saw and cut along the join, just enough to weaken it and the I bent it gently back and forth until it snapped.

Snapping the metal ring

I then slid one end of the ring into the hidden pocket on the curtain, being careful not to tear the curtain with the point.

Putting the curtain on the ring

Once my curtain was on the ring, I used some tape just to close the ring up again.

Taping the join back up

Next, I taped the flower arrangements onto the ring, in between where the two ends of curtain met.

Taping the first arrangement on
Taping second arrangement on

Once my two flower arrangements were taped on, I tied a little bit of string in the middle where they overlapped, just to keep them in place.I then pulled the curtains over top of the stems I had taped, and attached the top of the two curtain ends together with a small stitch of ribbon.

String to keep them in place

Next, I cut 3 pieces of string (I used nylon cord), approx 1m long each, and then folded them over to make 6 strands, and tied a knot at the top to attach them all and make a loop for hanging. (See photos below).

My 3 pieces of string
Folded them all in half
Tied a knot at the top
Now 6 pieces attached with loop at top

Once I had my 6 pieces attached with a loop, I started threading the beads onto each strand, making sure that I had the same amount of beads on each one.

Threading beads onto the 6 strings

I then took a larger bead, thread the loop/hook through it and pushed it over the knot to cover it.

Hiding the loop knot in a bead

Once I was happy with how many beads I had on the strings I put some tape on the ends so that I could work on the next step without the beads falling off.

Taped the ends

Next I layed the bead strings over the curtain top, dividing them evenly around the ring.

Laying out the bead strings evenly.

I then, one by one, took the tape off the ends of the strings and tied each string to the ring, threading them through the pockets from the inside to disguise the knots.

Attaching the beaded strings

Once it was all attached, I put a dab of glue on each knot to stop them from coming loose.Now it was done and ready to be hung up! 👍🏻Check out my Instagram page @_prettyliving for more of my DIY projects! 😁

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas

To see more: //www.instagram.com/_prettyliving

• Debbie
    Debbie

I love how your detailed instructions show each step. I feel like it would be so easy to make that it would make a great reading nook on a porch for an adult or child too! Can you imagine it as a backdrop of a swing chair?Obviously with care so it couldnt tangle but it could be a magic space to read. I love the name frame so delicate. Great job! Tks.

• Jess | Pretty Living
      Jess | Pretty Living

Oh thank you so much! And I’m so glad the instructions were easy to understand ☺️

It defiantly could be used for multiple purposes and at different ages 🥰

• Dana
    Dana

Could you use twine instead of nylon cord? I have a large roll of twine on hand.

• Jess | Pretty Living
      Jess | Pretty Living

For sure! I used nylon cord because it’s super strong and I had a heap of it already, but twine would work too 👍🏻

• Meg
    Meg

Could you describe the last step (hanging it)? And a picture showing it? Thanks.

• Jess | Pretty Living
      Jess | Pretty Living
      3 hours ago

Hi Jaye, I’ve run the handheld vacuum over it regularly to remove any dust and also soak it occasionally in soapy water but just leave the top bit with the flowers & beads out of the water.

• Berni
    Berni

This is so beautiful....thank you for sharing and the detailed instructions....would be so nice for a teenager...new Bride etc..

• Creative Moments
    Creative Moments

so pretty!!