Asked on Feb 18, 2020

How can I make over this table and chairs set?

DeeJaniceBetsy
+10

I bought this set for $100, it's never been refinished, all ideas are welcome. I'm thinking about white chalk paint with a dark wax on the lower part and wood finish top, need ideas for the chairs? Paint? Stain? Its cherrywood.

• Great find for $100! If you're going to paint the bottom portion of the table, I'd paint the chairs the same way.

• Kathy Gunter Law

A stained and durable finish on the top. Match chairs to the base. Cushion material should pick up a little of the color you paint the base and chairs.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I’d choose a fabric you love and recover the seats with it. Then choose complimentary paint colors. :)

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Fabulous purchase!

I might be that the dark and white contrast might be too much. At that point you might wish to paint the entire set white.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Alondra,

I love the wood as it is but the seat covers could be much bolder design and colour (Might be just the Pep it needs.........Otherwise you could add a Motif/ trim on the back of the chairs and the sides of the table which could be coloured to tone in with the chair fabric.

• Mogie

What type of finish or look are you going for?

If you want a rustic look white wash it. More polished painted it. You don't have to go white. If you decor is farmhouse, for example, there are beautiful blue and green shades. Don't forget to reupholster those chair seats too.

• Alondra Abernathy Spence

I do plan on recovering the seats, forgot to mention that. Thanks for all your suggestions, it's going to be fun to decide what to do.

• Cynthia H

Hi! Whitewash might be a method you would like.

• Natoree

Grey then whitewashed

i used “Kilz adhesive paint”

as primer. It makes paint stick to slick surface like your table top

• Natoree

I’m working on a table like yours now. This is first step with primer. No need to sand unless u have rough area. I will sand the paint drips off table top. I kinda was sloppy

Hi Alondra: It may be just me, but I'd just wax the wood and leave it as is. It's beautiful. Then, I'd make new chair seat covers for it, get a nice doily and plop some pretty flowers that match the seat in the centre of the table. How beautiful and how lucky you were to get this set for only $100!

• Janice

Hello Alondra, I'd suggest reupholstering the chair seats with a beautiful and colorful fabric you love before redoing the finish on the tale and chairs. This could provide enough of a change for you to see if that is enough and then you could decide if you want to paint. A nice colorful table runner would jazz up the table. You fund a great buy! I always look think about ROI (return on investment) of time and money for the results. Seems to me you might be happy with just the reupholstering.

• Dee

I would lightly sand and restain the table. I have friends that have painted their tables and they really do not last long. I would buy some nice upholstery fabric from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon and recover the seats in a fun color.