Plant Stand to Toilet Paper Stand

$0

I really like plants, but I usually kill them. Unintentionally of course! I have a few of these really neat looking plant stands and didn't know what to do with them so I figured I'd just paint one and see where it took me!

First things first, get the dreaded sanding out of the way....

I removed the cute little metal thingie in front (the name of it eludes me right now) and gave it a good clean. Next, I sanded it down with my handy dandy Dewalt electric sander and gave it another wipe.

As usual, I had lots of paint left over from previous projects so I did the first coat of two, using a primer and paint in one.

Once the second coat was dry I took it down off the table, sat on the couch and looked at it. I left it in the livingroom for a few days and kept looking at it. Then it finally hit me! Not the toilet paper holder idea of course but some kind of holder of stuff!!

Once I had an idea of what type of purpose, I knew I wanted it to be just a low key upgrade to go with a modern décor. In case I don't want it and sell it....

I spray painted the metal applique (?) white and let it dry.

I picked out some contact paper from my never ending collection, measured the area I wanted to cover and cut 4 pieces bigger than the measured area as each side did not seem to be a perfect square so I wanted overlap to trim to size.

Since the cut out was small, I removed the whole backing piece, centered it on the one side and smoothed it out with a plastic card. Once in place, I used a metal putty knife to keep the line straight while I trimmed the excess.

Once all 4 sides were done, I replaced the metal applique.

Since it's not very tall, and after putting it all around the house, I decided a toilet paper caddy it is!

And there it is, no cost to do when you have so many supplies left over from the million projects you start and only finish about 50%......

A before and after to show the transformation!

3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter

• That Girl!

Where do you buy spary paint?

• Mihaela Parker

I got it at Home Depot, but like Ellen mentioned, it's available in so many places :)

• Robyn Garner

LOL! The very first thing I wanted to ask on seeing the picture was what is that metal thingie in the middle? Now I know - it's that "metal thingie in the middle" lol!! Cute! 😎

• Lori Ward-Laatsch

I couldn't think of anything except where did she get toilet paper  Have you found a way to make your own?

JK of course. Cute idea.

I bought one of those baskets with handles and the materials is sort of stiff felt similar to below pic. Then I used rhinestone ribbon and a few other ribbons and hot glued to the basket. All in coordinating colors of my polka dot wall, towels etc.

• Lori Ward-Laatsch

That picture wasn't of what I did, just similar to, not sure why it is so small. I will try to remember to take a picture of mine when I get home today, I say try because my brain is on an anti-remembering crusade of late