Asked on Feb 18, 2020

How should I lubricate my outdoor extension plug?

SethKathy Gunter LawFlipturn
+7

I live in a very cold environment and need to plug my car in at work. The connection between my extension cord and my block heater plug is super difficult to insert and remove. What would be the proper lubricant and/or method to alleviate this problem? I find myself wanting to pull on the cord, which I realize is a no-no.

Hi Carla: What you might be able to do is get a fingernail file and clean off anything that is attached, like minerals, etc., until it's shiny. Then, buff it and you should be good. You may spray a little WD40 on it as WD-40 does not conduct electricity: When you put the connectors together, the metal on metal of the connector will allow the electricity to flow just fine, but with the WD-40 in there, you won't have an issue with something cross connecting or electricity bleeding off to somewhere you don't want it to. You can also use Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease. It's a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. The grease DOES NOT conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection. Hope this helps

• Mogie

Are you talking about some sort of charging unit for your auto? Even asked my hubby and he didn't understand either. Sorry.

• Sharon

Its an electric oil warmer in the oil pan so when its super cold your car starts after sitting outside. At workplaces they have a post with electricity you plug into. At home you plug into the outside plug or the garage.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Carla,

I don't have a block heater so I went looking for help for you. I found a discussion where someone else had a similar problem. Dielectric was given as a solution by one person. Then below a part of the conversation that doesn't apply, there are a few other suggestions. I hope one of them will help you. Wishing you the best.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/block-heater-difficult-to-unplug.478877/

WD40. it's a lubricant and not conductive so it's safe to use. Spray it in the outlet end and shake out the excess. Moisture is probably getting in the outlet end and freezing.

• Flipturn

For anyone who is not familiar with block heaters, here are a couple of short informative videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OccDOM_3qd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCHd2iUnb80

• Kathy Gunter Law

When I worked at a forklift dealership, we sold battery operated units that had to be charged. Our technicians always used white lithium lubricant over WD40. I can't remember the exact reason but they said it was better in the long run.

• Seth

WD40 is not a lubricant so much as it is a solvent used more for cleaning. It is great for removing rust and mineral deposits, it will help protect metal from corrosion, and repel water as William mentioned. The lithium grease is a true lubricant, which is why it was used after the WD40. Unlike spray lubricants, the lithium grease will last a long time. Lithium grease is flammable however and would not be used for a plug and socket.