Tips on Using Iron Orchid Designs Decor Transfers on Furniture!

$50

I love Furniture Makeovers, Sweet Friends, and today I wanted to share with you my "Tips on Using Iron Orchid Designs Decor Transfers on Furniture". I'm Cynthia Nessel from Create With Cynthia.

My most recent furniture makeover was a dresser I painted about a year ago. I have a full playlist on You Tube of projects using Iron Orchid Design products you can watch here.

But in the case of this dresser, when something doesn't look exactly how you want it to look, then you start over. This dresser was a makeover x 2. The video you can watch here and the full story "One Person's Junk is Another Person's Treasure," I told about a month ago and you can read about it here.

Some might say that I'm addicted to Iron Orchid Designs products. They have so many neat things you can use on furniture or crafts to really create a "One of a Kind" look. Who wouldn't be addicted to that?

At least my junk addiction has subsided..... a little bit.

When it's cold outside, I'm not as eager to go out and look for junk. Now, if I see something as I'm driving down the road....well that's another story. 

For today, I'm going to be specifically give tips on using decor transfers on a furniture makeover, because every application is different..

So grab your favorite beverage and let's get started.

Tips on using Iron Orchid Design Decor Transfers on Furniture!

Tip one: Cut the decor transfers into pieces. You can even mix and match them on projects.

Tip two: Only adhere decor transfers on a sealed surface. Use a top coat or wax on the furniture, then adhere the decor transfer. Be careful to choose a top coat or wax that is environmentally friendly, harsh chemicals will cause the decor transfer to lift and not adhere.

Tip three: Use frog tape or blue tape to hold the decor transfer in place while you are scrapping.

Tip four: When determining placement of decor transfer, don't remove backing until you are certain of placement.

Tip five: Decor transfers are sticky. Don't let sticky sides touch.

I am also providing a tutorial on how I created the Dresser. Last month I showed off the Dresser on You Tube. I thought I'd prepare a written tutorial for those that prefer to read versus watch.

Or maybe you like both.

Materials needed to adhere an Iron Orchid Designs Decor Transfer to furniture: 

• Painted and sealed dresser. Use a top coat or wax prior to adhering the transfer. I used Debi's Design Diary DIY Paint in Big Top.
  • Iron Orchid Designs Decor Transfer. I used Flora Parisinesis.
  • Frog Tape
  • Scissors
  • Soft rag

Directions to adhere an Iron Orchid Designs Decor Transfer to furniture:

Step one: Cut the decor transfer into pieces while the back is on the transfer. If you surface is flat and the exact size of the transfer, then there is no need to cut it.

Step two: Determine placement of decor transfer without removing back until you are certain of placement.

Step three: Use frog tape to hold decor transfer in place while scrapping with tool provided.

Step four: Scrape decor transfer onto surface.

Step five: Once the transfer is adhered, remove the tape and the plastic paper. Use a soft cloth and burnish decor transfer on surface. This ensures there are no air bubbles between the transfer and surface.

Step six: Use top coat or wax and seal the transfer on the surface. Two to three coats of top coat or wax is recommended.

Two to three coats of top coat or wax is recommended.

Enjoy your finished furniture makeover.

Now, if you decide you want to recreate this project using IOD aka Iron Orchid Design decor transfers, head on over to CreateWithCynthiaShop.com to purchase your decor transfers.

Now go out there and Create Something!

Cynthia

Or maybe you like both.

• Frog Tape
  • Scissors
  • Soft rag

Enjoy your finished furniture makeover.

Now go out there and Create Something!

Cynthia

Create With Cynthia

• Wendy

Love this...so fresh looking! I have a dining room table, it’s pine, it needs some tlc...do you think this could work too?!

• Tish

As far as the top coat goes, will a regular environmentally friendly varnish work or even ModPodge? Really curious on the latter...

This is so beautifully vintage looking, and could replace the map I was thinking 🤔 of using on an old dressing table’s top... I could just stain and sand that and use this on the front to draw attention away from the plainness of the piece. Fabulous work! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼🥰

• Create With Cynthia

I’m glad you love it and you can purchase the transfers on my website, createwithcynthiashop.com. I don’t suggest a varnish, possiblY a ModgePodge since that is similar to DIY Paint Crystal Clear Patina. I haven’t tried the Modge Podge though.

• Tish

Thanks so much! I’ll keep your site in mind when I tackle this project... it’s down the list of others awaiting me. 🥴 I’ll let you know how the ModPodge does if I use it! 😊

• Joy Fulle

You say it’s “iron on”.... can any iron on be used?

• Create With Cynthia

The brand of this decal transfer is called “Iron Orchid Designs.” This is NOT an iron on product.

• Lisa Evans

Not iron on it is from the iron orchid it is a type O. You burnish it on by rubbing it on with a plastic scraper they will send it to you with the transfer.

• Paula Ivory

this is what I've been looking for for my fireplace. do you think this would work on brick?

Thanks