Scrap Denim Throw Pillows

$10

I fell in love with the Urban Renewal Reclaimed Denim Pillows from Urban Outfitters and knew I could easily make my own. I pulled out my scrap fabric and denim and got to work. I made a couple pillows with thrifted sheets and denim and then made a couple with denim and velvet. I have to tell you that the denim/velvet combo is amazing!

Decide how big you want your pillow to be and cut a piece of fabric to size. Cut two more pieces for the back, which will overlap. I'll call these the base pieces.

Gather all the fabrics you plan to use for your pillows.

Cut and arrange the pieces on the base.

Sew the pieces on with a straight stitch.

Then go back over the edges of the pieces with a zig zag stitch. This part is optional, but it really adds something extra to the pillow.

Three sides of the back pieces will be sewn to the pillow, but you'll want to fold over the 4th side and sew for a nice finished look.

Place all the pieces together right-side in, overlapping the back pieces.

Line up the sides and sew all the way around the pillow. Trim any extra fabric.

Turn the pillow cover right-side out and stuff with your throw pillow.

These pillows are so easy to make and I love how they turned out. It's a great project for a beginner sewer and a great way to give your home décor a little refresh.

I have more easy sewing projects and upcycled projects on the blog!

Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

• Octavia

Did u use velcro closure, did you use a zipper you did say or demo

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I didn’t use either... the two pieces in the back overlap, so the pillow stays in. Similar to an envelope pillow cover.

• Octavia

I meant you did not say or show closure for this pillow, I'm not a seamstress so I'm not sure

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Sorry it wasn’t clear. I have a picture of the back pieces overlapping each other and I pulled the the front piece out a bit to show how it overlaps in the back. Hopefully that makes more sense.

• Lisa West

I used old Jean's months ago to make w area carpets and 2 pillows. Right now making an area carpet for my daughter and she also. Ought material for curtains. Black out and block color. If I can stop being sick I can get it done. Bronchitis is NOT MY FRIEND.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Wow, sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy when you are feeling well again! I hope you kick that bronchitis to the curb quickly!

• Kara Wurtzel

What a great upcycle! These came out great!