Asked on Feb 19, 2020

Can I use wood filler or caulk after using primer?

Lindsay AratariRedcatcecVimarhonor
+9

I just finished priming kitchen cabinets and noticed the seam between trims and boxes. Is it too late for wood filler or caulk? Using water based (Stix) primer and Benjamin Moore Advance (white).

• Scarlet Paolicchi

I think it is preferable to do the filler before the primer but it should be just fine afterwards as well since it is already done. This may be helpful http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Whether_to_Caulk_Painted_Cabinet_Doors.html

• Gk

I do think you can use wood filler, sand smooth, and then prime the areas again.

• You can still use wood filler. I would give the area a light sanding, fill the seam, let it dry, and prime it again.

• Chloe Crabtree

Go ahead and use the wood filler where needed. Sand it after the wood filler has dried, then prime that area again.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

It's not too late! Nows the perfect time. :)

• K. Rupp

YAY!!! Benjamin Moore advance is my favorite paint for cabinets(or furniture)!! You will see what I mean!!!! Yes, go ahead and wood fill now before the nice paint goes on. You can always lightly sand afterwards and put another light coat of primer in those areas. Then paint!

• Pamela

Yes , you can ! Put in the filled , let it dry , then lightly sand the area , before painting .Advance paint is great !!!! That's what I used , and I was told I didn't need to use a primer first . But I did need to use the primer on my countertops , which I also used advance paint on ! Cabinets and countertops have held up very well !!!

• Cynthia H

Wood expands and contracts, so just like with moldings, I would use a high quality paintable caulk to smooth them out and prime before going forward with the painting.

Imperfections usually do show up. You can fill after priming and prime over.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Caulk would be an excellent option having more give than wood filler. Often seasonal temperature changes cause movement in moldings.

• Redcatcec

You could use a wood filler, from experience a caulk would be a better option because it has more elasticity than the wood filler. Changes in temperature, humidity, and any natural settling of the room would better accommodated by the caulk.

• Lindsay Aratari

You could fill and then prime those areas so that it all blends