DIY Medallion Wood and Metal Wall Art

$5

Transform a broken clock and metal stand into a modern piece of wall art!

Although the refresh on my home office has been done for months, I still had one wall that needed additional wall art to feel complete.

I've been looking for pieces that would compliment the modern farmhouse look I have in the room, like this medallion wall art, but they were $50+ and I really didn't want to spend that so I did what I usually do. I made my own wall art.

This wood clock was in our family room up until two weeks ago when it broke. After inspecting it my hubby said there was no fixing it, so I decided to re-purpose it instead of throw it away. The wood frame was perfect for the wall art, now all I needed was the medallion for the center.

At first I began searching for metal trivets because I thought they would be the perfect size and have the right design, but I wasn't able to find any in our local thrift stores. Then I looked for other metal wall art but it was all to large. Eventually I found this two tiered metal stand for .99 in a clearance aisle and grabbed it up. It wasn't exactly like the inspiration piece but it would do.

The first thing I needed to do was take apart the clock. That was easy. All it required was a screwdriver. After I had all of the screws out the back and guts of the clock came out leaving just the wooden frame.

The stand was a bit more involved since I had to use a wire cutter to disconnect the piece I wanted for the medallion from the top tier and then from the base. That center piece came off easily by unscrewing it.

To attach the medallion to my frame I needed small hooks but I didn't have any so I improvised and used these screw eyes. (They come in picture frame kits). To create a hook I simply bent the end out with a pliers. At this point I should have painted them black to match the medallion but I didn't. **I would recommend doing so.

Once I had four screw eyes bent into hooks, I screwed them into the already existing holes left by the screws that held the back of the clock on.

Then all I needed to do was lay the medallion onto the hooks and bend back the two on either side to hold it in place. That's when I realized that the hooks could be seen so I touched them up with a little black paint.

The scrolled design is a bit more mid-century design than farmhouse but it actually works well with the other wall art I have in the room.

You can find the full tutorial for this project over on my blog!

This project is actually quite versatile. Instead of the wood clock you could use a plastic one and just give it a paint treatment to look like wood. You could also use a large embroidery hook or even a mirror frame. For the medallion if you're lucky you could find a metal trivet or a small piece of metal wall art, or the metal bottom of a birdbath with a unique design. Since I already had the clock and all other materials the total cost for this Medallion Wood and Metal Wall art was only .99!

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Everything Red For Canada Day
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Pallet and Pantry

• D

What if you you left the clock and used the stand also, like it is shown?

• Flipturn

Hi D,

The clock did not work, so she decided to repurpose it into wall art.