Asked on Feb 19, 2020

How can I install shelf brackets without the slotted wall tracks?

BethJaniceRymea
+9

Ok so we've all seen the wall shelving with the slotted track mount. Is there any way to install shelf brackets designed for slotted walls without using the ugly track system? I thought maybe I could use keyholes but maybe there's a better way?? I would love to hear it because I have a big pack of these slotted brackets. It would be great to have additional shelving but I really don't like the look of those tracks up my walls!

• Gk

I have used these slotted tracks/shelving in my closets for additional storage as well as my garage and laundry room because I don't like the looks of the tracks either! They don't bother me in the closet. garage or laundry room but I would rather use nicer looking brackets/shelves in other areas where it would bother me!

• Kathy Gunter Law

You could use shelf brackets or cover the tracks with the paintable covering designed for wires.

They are ugly. Like Gk says great for garages, utility room, cabinets, etc. Can't think of any other way to mount them. Covering the brackets is only thing

• Panic Mo

Thanks for these suggestions. I also really want to install shelves on a sloped wall, under the roof eaves. It slopes much like it would under a staircase. I have adjustable brackets but they're slotted. Any thoughts?

• Linda Sikut

Hi Panic Mo,

I'm wondering if you could cut the track mounts so that it perfectly fits each bracket and has a screw in each piece? My concern is that it might not be strong enough to actually hold the bracket in place plus it would have to be measured perfectly plus be installed on a stud. You might try testing that (it might need some adaptation) with one shelf to see the results. Personally, I'd install floating shelves and give or sell the system you have to someone else or use it where it won't show. Wishing you the best.

• Vimarhonor

Have you considered L brackets. They are pretty utilitarian looking too.

• pipe shelving could work and looks a lot nicer

• Redcatcec

Here are some suggestions from Pinterest, maybe they could be adapted to your needs:

https://www.pinterest.com/happyshiver/diy-hanging-shelves/

• Rymea

What if you put white tape over the holes or any color tape.

• Janice

Use decorative washi tape of your choice to cover the upright base hardware since you really want to use the brackets. You can find it in varying widths, so maybe just cover the face or wider to adhere to the sides and front surface.

• Beth

Here's an idea for floating shelves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wki3wMAbtLg