Asked on Feb 21, 2020

How do I get this giant sharp baseboard register out of my floor/wall?

Jeremy HoffpauirDeeLifestyles Homes
+10

So I bought this ancient house from my wife's parents. It has a lot that needs updated. We are working on a nursery for our baby that is coming in just a couple of months. I have put literal weeks and thousands of dollars into this one room but one last thing is bugging me. These dang giant baseboard registers. I would love to tear it out of the wall and do a little sheet metal work. Cut a board in and fill the hole in the floor and put up a normal wall register. But I can't figure out how to get this thing out of the wall. I thought about getting my oscillating tool and cutting the sucker out but I really want that as a last resort. How do these things come out?

Hi Steven: first of all, congratulations on the baby:) Please feel free to name it after me if it's a girl :) HA. Now, as for this bit of mess, there should be screws holding it in place. Perhaps the back panel, floor and side trim pop to expose them. Or, they may be in those holes. Look with a flashlight. Good luck with this and the baby :)

• Steven

Hi thanks Betsy. It's a boy ! I've looked everywhere inside the thing and no screws holding it in there but I have not looked inside the holes. It will move if you kick it lol but will not pull apart anywhere I've found yet.

Geeze oh Pete! This is a mystery :) Look in the holes. The holes look too small for a flashlight beam, but you can try that:) You may need a really long, thin screwdriver, probably a Phillips. Is there any way to stand those little flaps up, the ones that go around the round thing on the floor? That may be holding it down and, there may be screws under them. And, it might just slide straight out. Where ever there is a hole, I'd stick a screw driver in there and see if you can turn something.

Just a thought, when you kick it, can you see where it's sticking to the wall or whatever? Maybe that's where the screws are and maybe the sides, on the inside, will pry off and expose them. It may take a bit of elbow grease, but that may be the place where the screws are.

A boy, huh? Hmm, you can name him after my cat, Atticus :) Like the attorney in To Kill A Mockingbird.

Good luck, let me know how it goes, I'm invested now :), and congratulations on your son :)

• Cynthia H

Hi! I have an idea (don't laugh, it happens). I remember seeing one of these many years ago and I think there are clips holding it in. Take a look at the one on this link. Personally, I hate clips like this, because the darn thing wiggles around but won't come out (but moves if you kick it).

https://www.installerstore.com/Wall-Mounting-Clips-for-Victorian-and-Contemporary-Floor-Registers.html?mobile_mode=get_detailed_images

You may have to cut the drywall around it. There may be tabs that screw into studs on top.

• Redcatcec

This looks like 2 pieces, first is the outer frame and the inner is inserted into it, the inner is probably held in place by clips and the outer is screwed into the wall from the looks of it. I would start by trying to pry apart the inner from the outer, that should help you locate the clips. It appears there is some corrosion too, that might be a factor in the resistance. Let us know what it is and best to you.

• Judy in Canton.

Have you checked with a heating AC installer in your area that is familar with these? You don't want to lose use of that vent. Good luck with your new baby.

• I agree with William. I'd cut the drywall around it as close as I could get and then see what you're dealing with.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. We have a similar situation in our kitchen and we had to build a drywall box around it. Sadly it was the only way to have the heating introduced to the main floor as our walls are cedar log cabin walls. I hope you find the perfect solution to solve your situation.

• Rymea

sledge hammer

• Lifestyles Homes

Yes, expose the fasteners they used to tack it to the studs.

You’ll need those studs for your new elbow & wall register.

• Dee

I had a vent closed up by my AC guy. He had to reroute the vent so that the room got heat and AC. If you take it completely out without rerouting that room will not be climate controlled.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir

You need to reroute them to a different location.