Asked on Feb 21, 2020

How can I adhere a mason jar to wood?

Christina Faye RepurposedKim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableLinda
+12

• Vimarhonor

Hello. I am no sure what project you are doing, but my suggestion would use a drill to be screw the metal lid into the board. Hope this helps

• Nan W.

Penny: you do not say whether you want to adhere the top or bottom. The previous answer is perfect for the top... super glue or hot glue for the bottom.

• Plumber's strapping will work, Michele. Check at your local hardware or home improvement store.

• Dee

I really like Loctite products, they stick to anything or you can try Gorilla glue

E6000 glue will do the trick

• Craft Invaders

I'd recommend strapping it on if the jar will be suspended in the air. Mason jars are heavy and so smooth it's hard for the glue to grip to them.

• Lindsay Aratari

I would attach it with a strap

• Redcatcec

Wrap a strap around the belly of the jar and attach the strap to the wall. Or attach the screw lid to the wall with the screw in the flat part of the lid, then just screw the mason jar into the lid. Either way will work.

• Turnip

It would have helped to know what and how you are going to use a jar attached to a piece of wood. If you are planning to suspend it from the board, I would screw the lid to the wood so the jar can be unscrewed to put things in and take out.

• Sharon

I've also nailed the lids to the underside of shelves and cabinets to store dry goods.

Hi Penny: There are several ways, depending on your application and what the weight the jar will be holding. One, and the easiest, would be to use E-6000 glue. Sand the area of the glass you want to apply the glue to to give the glue something to adhere to. Light weight bearing and not very good. Then, you can get the stuff called metal hanging strap and wrap this around the jar and screw to the wood. Home Depot and other home improvement stores carry this, and it's pretty cheap. And, finally, you can screw the lid to the bottom of a horizontal piece of wood, use a washer between the screw head and lid on the inside, and screw the jar to this. Both are o.k. for heavy duty holding and way better than gluing :) Good luck

• Linda

How durable does this glue need to be? You can use a glue gun to adhere it but I am not sure how strong the hold would be to a lot of weight.

• I'm not sure what you're going to do specifically, but I've seen people use straps. https://www.hometalk.com/17279194/diy-mason-jar-indoor-herb-garden

• Christina Faye Repurposed

E6000 works great.