5 Stick Plant Stand

$10

I love plants. I love macrame. I love plants IN macrame. But, I had no place to put these beautiful combo pieces in my home. That is, until I built this beauty. 5 pieces of wood, 2 bolts and a few pieces of scrap leather is all it took! Total price – under $10!

Hey! Follow me @perfectlydestressed for more crafty crap!

I started with 5 2×2 wood pieces that are about $2 a piece at Home Depot. I cut 4 of them into 5ft length to be used as the end pieces and the last piece approximately 3 ft in length for the top bar. I used my rotary tool to cut my pieces because the weather outside was crummy, but a table saw would work great. Or have them cut the pieces for you before you leave the hardware store!

It is probably easier to paint or stain at this point in the project – before you put the stand together. I tend to do things the stupid hard way, so in true-to-me form, I carried the whole darn thing completely put together outside to spray paint. FYI - don't do what I did.

Once my pieces were cut and sanded lightly with a sanding block I measured 7 inches in from the top and marked the spot.

Drill a pilot hole for the bolts.

The same spot on all 4 pieces.

Screw in bolt.

Don't tighten the nuts all the way yet! You will want the pieces to be adjustable for the next step.

After the bolts were run through both pieces on each side and the hex nut was tightened at each end just enough to hold the “x” shape, I determined how wide I wanted the stand to sit and matched the 2 sets in width so the stand would sit evenly.

I knew some of my plants that would hang on it were heavier in size, and also because I have little ones, I reinforced the top bar to each “x” end stand with wood screws to ensure the sturdiness of the piece.As a last addition, I took some of my scrap leather pieces left over from past projects, cut them into equal sized strips and used them to accentuate the stand. I attached the leather to the front legs and the top of the posts by screwing them gently into the wood. The 2×2 wood was a bit too wide for the s-hooks I had on hand, so I used the shoestring leather pieces to tie around the top bar of the plant stand to attach the macrame hangers from.

I am so in love with how it turned out. Very simple style yet a great statement piece. Cute and functional – my favorite!

Perfectly DeStressed

Fun fact: bags of scrap leather can actually be purchased at the craft store. From shoe string-size pieces, some stained different shades to larger irregular shapes, the bags are actually a great value for a crafter!

Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Perfectly DeStressed

• GBK

Love this! I'm wondering, does it wobble from side to side at all? If so, what would be your fix for that?

• Judy

I'm definitely doing this for my balcony. My plants will be so happy there.

• Mitzi

I love this! It’s a great way to display your plants and hangers and it’s got a really cool boho vibe. And, easy enough for me, a not so seasoned DIYer🤗