Asked on Feb 23, 2020

How do I trim back my red tips?

Jeremy HoffpauirAgnes ChrzanowskaMichelle Leslie
+9

I have a red tip on each side of my front door and they've never looked especially good. Over the years they've become quite scraggly, as you can see. They were planted by the builder in 1979 when the house had just a few trees but over the years, all my trees have become quite large and now my yard is very shady. The place where these red tips are growing never gets direct sun and I read that they do best in a sunny spot. They're putting out new leaves now but they're not going to look good left as they are. The water line to the house must be under the one on the right since there's an outside faucet there so I'm afraid if I try to dig them up and transplant them or give them to someone with a sunny yard, I'll damage the water line and that will be huge bit of money to move a shrub! I thought about cutting them WAY down and letting them sorta start over since it's growing season but I read online that they should be cut in the fall or winter. But since it's technically still winter, would that be an OK idea? I also read that they can grow 2-3 feet in a season so they wouldn't be short for very long and during that time, I could plant shade-friendly impatiens there to fill in and give color on both sides of the door. I'd really like to have one of whatever the shrub is next to the first photo in the place of the red tip because it's native to GA (I'm in metro Atlanta.) it grows just great in this shady area.

Suggestions?

Anyone know what the shrub on the right is? It grows great in this location.

Yes, I know this one has a weed growing on it. I'm gonna dig it up (the weed).

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Here’s a link that should be useful in deciding when to trim your shrubs. Timing is important to have the plants dormant while pruning.

I hope this helps.

Only trim during the dry dormant months to control growth, then meticulously clean up all the clippings immediately after trimming. Red tip photinia in these areas will also benefit from some selective pruning out of branches to allow better air circulation as the density of growth also adds to the severity of the disease.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Pruning Photinia Shrubs: How And When To Prune A Red Tip Photinia https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/photinia/pruning-photinia-shrubs.htm

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Louise, what a beautiful plant. Here is the information I found on trim red tips. Hope this is helpful. Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Cultural Control:

1. Prune red tips in the winter when they are dormant. ...
    2. Rake up and discard fallen leaves, and remove infected plant material. ...
    3. Provide excellent air circulation. ...
    4. Avoid wetting the leaves when watering. ...
    5. Avoid summer fertilization that will promote new growth late in the season.

Oct 12, 2015

Photinia (Red Tip) | Home & Garden Information Center

hgic.clemson.edu › factsheet › photinia-red-tip

Hi Louise: The best time for trimming these, and any bushes, is in the winter when the plants are dormant. Trim them back where you want them to be. When pruning mature, overgrown shrubs, remove the thickest branches first. Cut them back to the base of the shrub, or to the size you want them to be, to promote new growth. Hand pruners are useful for smaller branches. Some can handle diameters up to an inch, but long-handled loppers give you leverage to cut branches 1 to 2 inches in diameter. Good luck

• I would give it a hard prune and cut it back a lot so that it can start fresh.

• Redcatcec

These are really beautiful plants and should certainly be perfect for your planting zone. Here is a good link on care for your red tip, including pruning:

https://www.hunker.com/12135988/how-to-prune-red-tip-photinia

• Simple Nature Decor

• Lifestyles Homes

Do you know “pruning basics”?

For example, The Rule Of Thirds? As in don’t cut back more than 1/3 of any branch.

Do you know what a Growth Bud looks like vs. a Leaf Bud?

If not, let us know.

• Dee

I just pruned my red tips. I cut them back ALOT. Mine were also planted in the late 70’s and early 80’s. I feed them with tree spikes and they are beautiful.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Louise, Red Tips are not too fussy when it comes to pruning, so you can cut her back a lot and she'll fill out beautifully

• Agnes Chrzanowska

They are perfect bush for beginners..they are not fussy so you can cut back as you like

• Jeremy Hoffpauir

You shouldnt need to be too careful with them.

Hope this Helps! Jeremy - https://pahjodesigns.com