Map Table Top!

$3

I found this IKEA Lack table at a garage sale. It was so inexpensive that I knew I could spruce it up somehow.

Dust and all!

I started by wiping it all down and taking the legs off.

My in-laws were getting rid of their old maps from Illinois and I’m so glad I saved them. This table was the perfect size for one of the downtown maps of Chicago.

I dry fit the edges first by folding the map with sharp creases on all the edges of the table top.

This is the Mod Podge I used to adhere the top surface down.

Then I started at the corners to adhere the sides.

The edges were a little bulky, so I cut some of the excess paper away before I stuck it down for good.

Then I added another layer of Mod Podge to the sides.

Then on the entire top.

After I attached the legs, I brushed on a sealer just for added protection. I think it’s just so cute and what a great conversation starter. Oh, the neighbor dog approved too!

3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas

• Diana Runs with Scissors

I like this idea but have a related question. Over many years, I have saved kind handwritten notes and cards from friends. I want to cut scraps of them, overlap them, and "wallpaper" a small wall in the bathroom. What products to use to prep the notes and the wall? Being a bathroom, I do not want the steam to loosen them. Ideas?

• Touchedpainter

As a Commercial Painting & Surface Coating Contractor of 45 years I have to say DO NOT USE ELMERS GLUE... DON"T. Start by copying all the letters/notes with a printer/copier. (Don't glue the originals). Just go into any hardware store or wallpaper store (we still have one where I live in N. H.) get the general purpose wallpaper paste. Paint or roll a thin coat on the wall (one workable section at a time) and smooth on the note pieces, with a smoother or soft brush. When done or as doing in sections, paint the finished and dried pieces with Minwax Polycrylic varnish (what ever sheen you want, I recommend satin finish). Let dry overnight and put a 2nd/final coat the next day. If it looks like the varnish is not protecting enough finish with a third. When dry & cured after a couple weeks you should be able to wipe the wall with a cloth or sponge with a little drop of liquid dish soap in the bathroom sink of water if it needs to be cleaned.

• Moose Camarillo

How do you get dried mod podge out of carpet?

• Jody Harris

I might try putting water on it to see if it softens up so you can get it with a rag.

I do agree with Touchedpainter about callIng a place that cleans carpets to see if they have any suggestions.

• Kris

Love the look of maps! Did you have trouble with the original folds in the map laying flat? I’ve found when I try to use a large paper like your map I get wrinkles. Any advice?

Thank you for your share!

• Cheryl Rambo

You can buy "map" printed paper in rolls on line. Looks either very modern or antique style maps. Very easy to work with as it comes in different thicknesses.

• Dl.5660408

Great idea! It would be a nifty way to cover up a marred table top too and can be made as a lovely keepsake

• Linda

I love this! I think I will give it a try although I would have painted the legs white as to be a lighter color to kind of match the map. Great idea!