Bathroom Refresh- Vanity & Wall

$150
1 Week

We wanted, no, we NEEDED a Bathroom Refresh and what better time to do it then while we're anxiously waiting on Springs Arrival!

The BEFORE was pretty bad...oh my!

The old vanity was vintage and SHORT so my husband said he'd build something more to my liking and let me choose the height!

GUT THE BATHROOM AS MUCH AS IS NEEDED

Ripping that ugly vanity out was exciting, lol.

REPAIR & PAINT THE WALLS

After repairing and painting the walls and removing the "boob" light we moved onto the wood for the vanity. We wanted it tall and we wanted it to fit that space exactly.

CUT & SAND YOUR WOOD

This is our cut list although yours may be different depending on your bathroom space.  The vanity height is 36" with the width 67-1/2" and the depth is 21-1/2".

All of the following are cut from 2x4's for the frame:

six 35-1/4"

two 31-1/2"

six 16-1/2"

two 28-1/2"

Then the two shelves have slats that are cut from 1x4's and there are forty-eight total measuring 21-1/2"

CUT YOUR WOOD COUNTERTOP TO FIT

The vanity countertop was a piece of Aspen measuring 1"x24"x6 and we cut it down to 21-1/2" x 67-1/2" and used the cut off piece as the backsplash.

MAKE A CURVED EDGE ON THE COUNTERTOP PIECES

Using a router and a 1/2" fillet bit to create the curved edge on the vanity and the backsplash.

CUT THE SINK HOLE

The cast iron sink we bought (new at Habitat for Humanity!) came with a template which made cutting pretty easy. You'll need to drill a pilot hole to be able to fit the jigsaw blade in.

STAIN ALL THE WOOD PIECES

Grab your brush and a rag! We really love MinWax Gel Stain and it only takes one coat to get the wood the color we want.

APPLY YOUR WOOD PROTECTANT

Since this was a bathroom project we applied five coats of MinWax Helmsman Spar Urethane on the vanity countertop sanding lightly between coats. We applied fewer coats on the slats.

ASSEMBLE THE FRAME

A Kreg pocket hole jig was used to create the holes for the screws to assemble the frame.

CUT THE SLATS TO FIT THE PLUMBING

There will need to be some cutting on a few slats to accommodate the plumbing. You can see here 16 penny nails were used for spacing then removed as each slat was screwed into place.

SCREW THE SHELF SLATS INTO PLACE

Each slat was attached to the frame with a screw in both the front and the back. Then the countertop was attached with L brackets.

ATTACH THE COUNTERTOP & DROP IN THE SINK

Before dropping in the sink he put a bead of silicone caulk on the underside of the sink as a water barrier. Then the faucets were plumbed per the instructions that came with them.

BASKETS ARE GREAT FOR STORAGE UNDERNEATH

Once the vanity was finished I added baskets and flowers underneath and...

this cool spa tray...I'm considering painting in the flowers...what do you think? If you want to see the DIY on the spa tray click HERE!

COUNTERTOP & WALL DECORATIONS!

On top we added some greenery, jars with Qtips, cups, and cotton balls. On the walls we added a framed picture I made, a bird clock (that bird swings back and forth!) and a nice sized white medicine cabinet.

We feel like we really reached our bathroom refresh goals and happily it didn't cost alot- only about $150 for the vanity!

16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper

• Angie

I love this & am working to recreate it in my bathroom. What color stain did you use?

• Angie

Such a beautiful vanity - I am inspired to create my own! Please let me know where you purchased the aspen wood for the counter top. The link takes me to Amazon, but I am not finding the product. Thanks so much!

• Angie

• Bridget Mabeus

THAT turned out Beautiful!!! Yes, paint the flowers on your spa tray.

• Anna Ibarra

Magnific! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 It is such agree job.