Asked on Feb 24, 2020

Can you help me make this staircase look right?

SabrinaAgnes ChrzanowskaMichelle
+13

Hi Everyone!So my fiancé and I purchased this home in December that had a stair case without a hand rail. Long story short, we were forced to install it quickly to reach code.We’ve had everything installed and stained, but someone is still missing. It doesn’t feel complete or looking correct.Any ideas?ive attached the before and after photos

Current

Current

Before

• Cindy

Hi Laura. I like the current photos. The spindles look modern and fresh. I think you did a good job on this.

• Looks nice. It just need to be styled a bit. Maybe add some large house plants on the bottom level.

• Flipturn

I agree the new staircase is a big improvement from the dated incomplete version. The dark wood is heavy looking however, and is somewhat imbalanced in the room, especially considering that the floor and walls are light, and there are no other visible metals in the space.

Don't be too hard on yourself; you've just moved in! Congratulations on your home purchase. Give yourself time to adjust to your new environment and to acquire more decor items that match the dark wood in weight and color tone.

What you did looks good. It's the open steps and the previous open stair concept that's throwing it off visually. Just will take some time to get used to.

Is there any chance the railing and balusters are a little high or is that the photo. Is it code or can they be lowered.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I love the new railing you installed and think you did a great job. I think part of the reason it looks like something is missing is because it's not quite decorated all the way. I think if you had a large piece of art work (or that mirror in the first photo) on the wall instead of those 6 smaller photos, that would really make the area look nice. I also agree that some large houseplants would look great under the stairs. Since you can see through the stairs, you don't want a ton of stuff under there because it makes the area looked cluttered, if that makes sense.

Good Luck!

• Redcatcec

It looks like a great job and since it is new to you, you need time to adjust and decorate. It is a big item in the area and your eyes are drawn to it, maybe something like an area rug would take away some of the attention you are giving it. Best to you.

• Unique Creations By Anita

I think you did a fantastic job. I would leave it as it is.

• Pamela

Hi ! I think it looks great ! I think once you decorate around it , it will look fine . To make it blend in , get shelving, that you can stain in the same color as the stairs . Also , but frames for pictures in the same color , as well , and hang them on the wall that you see , as you walk up the stairs ! Congratulations on your new home !

• Cheryl A

Laura,

I think you did a great job with the new railings. You could put metal newel posts if you prefer that look. I personally think it looks great and when you get your decor done around it think you will see how great it looks.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Wow, what a great transformation. Perhaps you want the metal to stand out a bit more. Going with a darker stain would accomplish that. But I really like the job you have done.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. We had the same sort of open tread stair case situation at our first home but it always had the railings. You did a fabulous job with your transformation. Its looks modern and fresh, love your choice of rails.

• Lucky Home Today

I love you current photo. If you're looking for extra pop, I would paint the supports to be black.

• Rachel

I think adding sold backing between each one of the stairs where you can see through them would make them look more solid quality and complete for indoor stairs. Everyone is different though just an opinion :)

• Michelle

If you have pets or kids open stairs are dangerous especially for a very small dog otherwise love the sprindles

• Agnes Chrzanowska

Beautiful :)

• Sabrina

It looks good. The only thing my eyes gets drawn to are the newel posts. Most posts have a decorative mounding at the bottom of them.