Asked on Feb 25, 2020

Can a porch that has a ceiling fan and lights be powerwashed?

Christina Faye RepurposedAgnes ChrzanowskaLinda
+9

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Nancy yep you will just have to be careful. I would remove all glass covers and light bulbs and then cover sockets with plastic.

• Laura Cooper

I would agree with grandma. Though I would first try a powerful hand sprayer before using a powerwasher. Rarely is the powerwasher needed unless you are trying to strip paint.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Make sure they are all outdoor rated. If you are unsure, cover with plastic to be on the safe side. Removing anything breakable is advised if the operator of the pressure washer isn't experienced. We've never done anything to ours but everything is rated for outside and all outlets have built in, weather proof covers.

• Kmdreamer

Take plastic and cover the ceiling fan tape it up and wash away

• Heaven bound 2

No! Don’t do it! It will short it out!

• I would either take down the fan before powerwashing or avoid that area. Good luck!

• Mogie

Only if you carefully power wash ONLY the floor. And it would still be a good idea to turn the power off to the ceiling fan first. But water and electricity are a very bad combo.

• If you are just washing the floor, turn off the power and go ahead.

• Water and electricity never mix and you could get electrocuted. I would cut the power and thoroughly bag and tape the entire fan off if you need to wash the ceiling. If your intent is to clean the walls and ceiling there are other methods. What type of walls or siding do you have? What type of ceiling is on the porch? We can find safer methods for you with a bit more info.

• Linda

You can power wash the ceiling but I would not let it touch the fan and light. In fact I would probably cover the fan and light with a plastic bag or something that would keep water off.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would not really power wash it ...

• Christina Faye Repurposed

Maybe cover the fan and light? I would not want to get water on the fan/light.