Asked on Feb 26, 2020

How can I upycle 200 LIberty Falls houses?

BaxterDeeThea
+30

I have over 200 Liberty Falls houses that I’ve been trying to sell. It’s not working so I’m wondering if you guys have any ideas to repurpose them? They are too heavy to use as ornaments.

• Cheryl A

Tara

I understand you wanting to sell these and folks just don't understand the value and beauty of collectibles. I collected Gone with the Wind plates and other items and now I am stuck with so much that just doesn't sell. Have you tried contacting the mfg. of the items to see if they are interested in buying them? or a consignment shop that could display them and sell them? Try to find a facebook page of collectors of these items to see if anyone is interested in buying one or all of them. Sometimes folks are missing one or two pieces. .

• Tara Robinett

Yes. I have them listed on Etsy and on FB marketplace. I’ve sold maybe 50 pieces out of 288. I’ve even marked them down to $1 apiece.

• Tom Stuart

I had only about 2 dozen of these and tried to sell them with the same lack of success. One second-hand store dealer suggested that I wait until before Christmas and try to sell them at a swap meet.

I finally just donated them to a pre-school for a Christmas display and took a tax deduction.

Good luck with your project.

• Linda

I love these villages!

• Cindy

Have you tried selling them on line? E Bay, Etsey, Let Go, or Craigs List. I would sell them as a collection and they would be worth more if you have Original paper work and boxes. Good luck Tara.

• Tara Robinett

Yes. I have the original boxes. Most of them have the paperwork in the boxes. I haven’t thought about craigslist. I’ll try that.

I just checked Ebay and they aren't going for much. Basically sold in lots and at about $1 a piece. Collectors would buy the ones they need to complete a set.

• Flipturn

Regarding Cheryl's comment about folks not understanding the beauty of such items: it can be said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Over time, the inherent and the perceived value of some items originally sold as collectibles can decrease. This is unfortunate if you find that you have lots on your hands and are wanting to sell them.

I would say if you have marked the houses down to that low of a price and they still are not selling, that it would no longer be viable to continue. By the time you pay your sellers fees, plus consider your time put it, you will netting very little cash.

If the boxes are taking up needed room in your home, then give them away, as Tom did, turn over a new page, and move on. Otherwise, hang on to them and try to sell them again in the future.

• Em

Try local posts in your area. Ebay has a lot that is why they may not be selling, but go from $4 to $24 each. Try sites like 5miles. That gets you local people that may not want the pay the shipping and handling that ebay costs, but gets you buyers in your area that can pick up the items from you, THUS the name. Try a local flea market, places that take on commission and sell for you. If all else fails donate them to a resale shop like St. Vincent DePaul or Vietnam Veterans and use for a tax write off. You can write off the value of them as a non-cash donation on next years taxes.

• Tinyshoes

Tara,,,They appear to be really nice if they are as each picture. I would take them to Goodwill or Coordinated Charities or a ministries of some type. I believe they would be loved by somebody, good luck.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You can display as a village. You didn't mention where you were trying to sell but you might see if there is a collector's site.

• Pamela

They would work for fairy gardens ...

Hi Tara: Here is a really neat site that tells about these houses. There is a really interesting part at the very end.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1995-01-01-9501010316-story.html

Good luck

• Dee

Try selling them on Craigs List or Facebook Market Place. I think waiting until September would be in your best interest as people are not looking for Christmas items right now.

• Could you use them to create a Christmas village at the holidays?

• Tara Robinett

There are over 200 pieces. Somebody could make three or four villages but I don’t have room.

• Ebr29554894

You could build a ledge close to the ceiling to display them, use them as center pieces at group christmas or Holiday parties. Maybe you can loan them to a nursing home , church social group .

You could give them for gifts .

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would for sure try to sell some of them on ebay and use some of them into creating a Christmas village

• Joni

Hi, How about using some of the houses in giant planters as fairy houses? With maybe a tiny figure or two, and flowers...Could be super cute and perhaps you could sell a few that way?

• Thea

Or, don’t be sentimental about them. Turn them upside down (I take it they are hollow) and turn them

into hanging planters is some way?

• Lucky Home Today

Check with your neighbors on Nextdoor to see if they want to purchase. Otherwise I would make a gnome village under a backyard tree.

• Lifestyles Homes

Find out what the scale is and then sell them to people who have to-scale model railroads & even slot car tracks.

• Thea

Would it be possible to cut out some of the windows with a porcelain cutter or drill of some sort and use them as a lit outdoor Christmas display?

• Thea

I think they appeal to a very limited market as is because people consider them cute but kitsch.(Don’t shoot the messenger). Perhaps paint them solid, bold colours like white, black? Yellow or neon pink and see if they won’t sell that way, not as collectables but as novelty items to a younger market.

• Dee

Have a garage sale and sell them at your sale.

• Baxter

You need to decide that these aren't worth the time & trouble you're going to in trying to sell them. If you've had them listed on eBay and they are not selling at $1.00 each, then it's time to donate them. You could repaint them in a glossy spray paint...but you'd still end up with 200 pieces that you have to display or use somewhere. If someone else might enjoy them, then give them away.