How to Repurpose Old Windows as Wall Decor

$30

My favorite DIY projects fall into two categories: inexpensive and makes a big statement. Who doesn’t love these type of projects?! Well, here’s a good one for you: Repurposing old windows to use as wall decor. It’s simple. It’s inexpensive. It makes a big statement in your home. Here’s how to do it in a few easy steps.

If you're looking for more easy DIY projects, head over to my blog at http://www.thehandcraftedhaven.com/.

Step 1: Buy or find old windows. Good places to look for these are Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. You can get them for $5-10, even the larger ones! Here is a picture of my old windows before I started working on them.

Step 2: Paint the windows with Rust-Oleum Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint. Before painting them, I cleaned them off with soap and water, letting them dry before applying paint. I chose to paint them using a chalk paint that could be easily distressed. Also, I preferred a matte finish since I wanted them to keep their old, used look.

Step 3: Use 220 grit sand paper to distress the windows. Focus your distressing on the edges and corners to give them a naturally distressed look. Vary the amount of distressing across the windows.

Step 4: Use a tack cloth to remove all dust from the windows. I also washed the glass on the windows.

Step 5: Make paper templates to help you decide on the window layout on your wall. Since these windows are so large and we were going to screw them directly into the studs, I wanted to make sure that I knew the exact layout of them before we started putting them on the wall. I measured the size of each window and then cut paper from a large roll to match each size.

Step 6: Hang the windows on the wall. Since these windows can get pretty heavy, we chose to screw the windows directly into studs using deck screws. First find the studs in the wall using a stud finder. Use a level to make sure that your windows are level.

Now you will have a beautiful wall of windows!

If you are looking for other DIY wall decor ideas, check out this rustic farmhouse-style coat rack tutorial ( http://www.thehandcraftedhaven.com/diy-rustic-wood-coat-key-rack/) or this tutorial on how to install removable wallpaper ( http://www.thehandcraftedhaven.com/how-to-transform-a-room-with-removable-wallpaper/). Happy DIY-ing!

Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Mary @ The Handcrafted Haven

• Christine Campbell-McGuire

How do you frost the windows??? Sounds interesting^^

• Sharon Strain

Ck @ your local paint store for etching materials. U can also use this stuff for putting names on glass panels, initials on glassware. All kinds of ideas.