Asked on Feb 26, 2020

What are the benefits are carpeted floors?

Cheryl APamelaBetsy
+9

Hello everyone,,For an equivalent price, carpet brings more headaches than tile: stains are harder to clean, carpet wears down, fungus or other stuff can more easily grow in it, vacuum cleaning is mandatory—cannot just sweep a broom over it, cannot wash it with a mop.Coming from a country where tile/hardwood is the absolute norm, I'm still struggling to understand. https://trackeasy.fun/usps/ https://showbox.tools/

• Kathy Gunter Law

I think it’s price and comfort for many people. Material cost may be comparable but installation is not. I prefer tile I. Kitchen and bath with hardwood elsewhere. But a lot of my friends want carpet in the bedroom, it’s cozy to them. I have allergies and my doctor told me avoid carpet at all costs. I totally agree with you.

• Mogie

Tech I agree with you. Does't make sense and a hardwood floor is so much cleaner and good if you have pets.

• Flipturn

Yes, there are advantages and disadvantages to all floor coverings.

Some reasons why folks choose carpet over hardwood are;

-no need to remove the old flooring before carpet is installed over top of it

-carpet installation is faster and easier (read: cheaper labour costs)

-carpet can accommodate an under-floor that is not level or uneven

-carpet dampens the noise within the room, and between rooms

-carpet is insulating, and is warmer on bare feet

• I grew up with carpet but much prefer hardwood floors. The only floor covering we have in our house is a simple rug under the dining room table. Hugs, Holly

• Redcatcec

Have to agree with you! There are pros and cons of having a carpet, incidentally we took out our wall to wall and replaced it with tile, and don't regret the decision. See below:

https://www.jatcwoodfloors.com/pros-and-cons-of-carpet/

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

My home has carpeting but I’m hoping to change it to wood floors. The carpeting was good when my kids were tots since it’s soft. But carpeting is harder to keep clean than hard surfaces like wood or tile.

• Scarlet Paolicchi

Carpeting is generally cheaper and some people just like the soft feel.

• Em

People like the look that ties a room or and area together. For bedrooms it is the softness on your bare feet. In the bathroom it keeps you from slipping on a wet floor. In and entry it keeps the dirt from traveling indoors when you wipe your feet. I purchased a carpet cleaner and routinely clean mine. I also wash my throw rugs as I have dogs.

• Beth

Looking back, historically, wood floors were most common, and thus considered less desirable initially. In the 50s and 60s, linoleum seemed like a fancy, space-age floor covering, and it caught on with people. Wall-to-wall carpet was initially something that only rich people had because carpets were so expensive, but as manufacturing pushed the price down, regular people started to be able to afford it too. That became popular in the 70s/80s. That's why you'll find gorgeous hardwood floors covered with linoleum and carpet! Tastes shift with the times, and now hardwood has come around as a preferred type of flooring again.

Hi Tech Bud: Well, everyone has different tastes and needs. I, myself, prefer carpeting. Every room in my house is carpeted, from kitchen to bathroom. My friends like the tile, hardwood or laminate. Whatever your needs are, there's a product for :) So, as they say "Different strokes for different folks" :) Do what you like and what suits your needs.

• Pamela

Hi ! I can certainly understand your reasoning ! Here are some reasons why it is still popular in my country , United States . The newer trend in our country is sold flooring or wood look flooring made from a strong vinyl material that is also waterproof . Carpet can be helpful in insulating your home in areas where the weather gets cold . In those areas tile ( unless you have put in radiant heating )

Can get very , very cold and keep the rooms cooler ! File is great if you live near the beach or in a warmer climate . Other considerations are that carpeting is less expensive than wood flooring and maybe even files ... Also for someone elderly a fall on tile can be much more harmful on the body . In my case we just moved into our retirement home and were renovating it . I would have chosen wood , but it was white expensive and I would have had to put down throw rugs anyway , because I have severe foot pain . I can't stand on file for any length of time , so I chose carpet for my living room , hallway & bedrooms .

• Cheryl A

Here in the USA wood floors and luxury vinyl floors are popular as well as stone floors. We had carpet in our house but we have replaced it all with stone or wood. It is much easier to clean and also someone who suffers from allergies and asthma, wood and tile are better for anyone with lung or allergy issues. Everyone has their own reasons to like carpet or hard surface floors.