Fixing a Broken Old Thrift Store Jewelry Box

$15

I found this sad old jewelry cabinet at Goodwill a few months ago for a great price. I think it was $3.99. But it did have a few issues that you can see in the photo below. It looked like it had led a rough life and had several loose joints. It was a challenge, so I brought it home and turned it into a blue jewelry cabinet with some paint and a little scrapbook paper.

Sign up for my email list and we'll send all our new projects straight to your inbox!

One of the corners did look bad but I thought my wood glue would take care of it. And it did. I squirted a little in the crack and held it overnight with my clamps. I did wipe off that little bit of glue that squeezed out.

The next day was Painting Day! Notice I pull all the drawers out to paint. And I usually either paint the sides of the drawers or decoupage them. Check out all the other jewelry box makeovers on our blog to see how many different ways we've done this!

I gave it two coats of the chalky finish paint, letting it dry completely in between each coat. Then I distressed it a bit with some sandpaper, wiped it down, and gave it one coat of varnish.

I wanted to try something new with the window so instead of replacing the glass like I usually do I just cut a piece of double-sided scrapbook paper the same size and placed it in front of the glass.

Ta da!

I think this is one of my favorites… I just love that paper pack! It has a lot of vintage style paper, fabric, and wood designs. I’ve also been using these papers on the sides of the drawers but since I was already using paper on the door I just painted these. Thanks for reading! I’d love to know if you’ve done a makeover on a thrift store jewelry cabinet. Leave a comment and let me know.

Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim