How to Make Creek Coasters From Plywood and Resin

$25

These funky little coasters are a great way to upcycle old underflooring or use up some of the scraps of plywood we seem to amass after a few projects. These coasters are pretty simple to make and are pretty durable!

Materials I used were:

• Silicons mold from Amazon.
  • ArtResin brand resin
  • Alcohol ink
  • Scraps of 1/4" plywood cut into 4" squares
  • Vise (for holding the wood but not critical.

The Simple Creek Coaster

Step 1

Break you blank into 3rds. The middle section will be what you fill with resin.

I used a bench vise for some of them. If you don't have one, I also used a brick on the ground and placed the wood on top and then used my foot to break it. Remember, you want the wood grain to be a little funky and exciting.

Step 2

Take both ends and put them into the silicon mold.

If you place an X on the bottom, you can later find the sides that go together (I always forget that part)

Step 3

Mix up your resin and pour slowly. If you have something you can use to weigh the wood down, that may be helpful as sometimes the wood floats up. I mix the resin very clear so I can drop a drop or two of the colored alcohol ink directly in the resin. After I drop the ink into the poured mix I use a small stick to spread the ink out.

Step 4

I let the resin cure for at least 3 days. The resin may look dry, but it goes through a gummy period for me. After that, I sand off any extra resin and make it flat. I like to oil or stain the final raw wood also. I feel like it gives it a more finished look.

Here is the finished coasters. I applied a small ammount of stain and wipped it off.

If you make this tag me in a picture. I would love to see it! You can see more of my projects on my instagram @ Hawkbluff_woodworking.

Dom

• Tameka Coffey

So do you cover the entire top of the wood with the resin mixture? Just wandering cause it looks like the bottom of the coaster is..?

• Ticia

Very nice; is there something on the bottom to prevent them from scratching a surface or sliding? Also, you mention alcohol ink which I have never heard of so I wonder if any type of craft paint would work? TIA

• Val

So cool and funky! Great job!