How to Make Creek Coasters From Plywood and Resin

$25

These funky little coasters are a great way to upcycle old underflooring or use up some of the scraps of plywood we seem to amass after a few projects. These coasters are pretty simple to make and are pretty durable!

Materials I used were:

• Silicons mold from Amazon.
  • ArtResin brand resin
  • Alcohol ink
  • Scraps of 1/4" plywood cut into 4" squares
  • Vise (for holding the wood but not critical.

The Simple Creek Coaster

Step 1

Break you blank into 3rds. The middle section will be what you fill with resin.

I used a bench vise for some of them. If you don't have one, I also used a brick on the ground and placed the wood on top and then used my foot to break it. Remember, you want the wood grain to be a little funky and exciting.

Step 2

Take both ends and put them into the silicon mold.

If you place an X on the bottom, you can later find the sides that go together (I always forget that part)

Step 3

Mix up your resin and pour slowly. If you have something you can use to weigh the wood down, that may be helpful as sometimes the wood floats up. I mix the resin very clear so I can drop a drop or two of the colored alcohol ink directly in the resin. After I drop the ink into the poured mix I use a small stick to spread the ink out.

Step 4

I let the resin cure for at least 3 days. The resin may look dry, but it goes through a gummy period for me. After that, I sand off any extra resin and make it flat. I like to oil or stain the final raw wood also. I feel like it gives it a more finished look.

Here is the finished coasters. I applied a small ammount of stain and wipped it off.

If you make this tag me in a picture. I would love to see it! You can see more of my projects on my instagram @ Hawkbluff_woodworking.

Dom

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss

• Tameka Coffey

So do you cover the entire top of the wood with the resin mixture? Just wandering cause it looks like the bottom of the coaster is..?

• Ticia

Very nice; is there something on the bottom to prevent them from scratching a surface or sliding? Also, you mention alcohol ink which I have never heard of so I wonder if any type of craft paint would work? TIA

• Val

So cool and funky! Great job!