The FREE Table

$30

A while back, we were between houses and renting an apartment. Since the apartment was smaller than our house we rented a storage unit. I spotted this little table sitting in a corner at a storage unit building and I commented on it (the fact that it's solid maple). The owner looked at me and said, "It's yours!". I offered to pay him for it, but he refused. Even my husband was excited about this table - the size, the price, what's not to love?

The best part about it? The top was already sanded! Take a look:

I had no intention of sanding the rest of it, so I gave it a quick 'once over' with some 220 grit sandpaper and it was ready for stain. After one coat of walnut stain, three coats of polyurethane were applied, allowing for proper drying time.

I painted the legs, skirt, and underside of the leaves with a chalk paint called Pool.

I gave it three coats and it was looking fabulous.

The stained edges of the top were taped to give it a nice, crisp line:

Clear wax was used to seal the chalk paint and this little beauty was done!

We have since moved into a house, and we use this table in our dining room with leaves up.

This is one of many of my recycled/upcycled furniture posts. Stop by my blog to see more of them!

Ann|The  Apple Street Cottage

• Nancy

It is beautiful! I usually hit home auctions on the last day here in Oklahoma. They have let's make a deal on leftovers. Great finds at good prices.

• Chris

I salvaged the same table last summer. The sliding mechanism was screwed shut, but I repaired it and made a leaf so it is huge with the sides up. could not get the stained top to match, so I might paint the top and leave the legs wood. I wonder who made it?

• The sliding mechanism still works in this one. I just need leaves. I have no idea who made it, but I believe these maple, drop-leaf tables were popular in the 1940s. Good luck with your refinishing!