Closet Door Refresh

$75

I was feeling like my closet doors needed an update, but I did not want to spend any money giving them an update. So I decided to paint the doors & update the hardware. I managed to do this project without spending any additional money as I only used products I had on hand.

Before picture! We bought all of our closet doors second hand when we moved into our home.. but it was time these doors got a makeover!

You can see here the discolouration between doors. - To paint the doors I used a small paint brush for the rectangle areas as I find a brush gets into all of the difficult areas. I then used a small roller to paint the rest of the doors.

This is after the first coat of paint. I decided to mix my own paint as I did not have grey paint on hand. I also learned a lesson by doing this... I would not recommend using three different colours of paint to make your own unless you originally mix enough paint for your whole project. I ran into an issue with colour variations as I did not originally mix enough paint. Second time around I decided to only use Rust-Oleum Chalk paint in linen white and Beauty Tone interior black paint to make my desired grey colour (I also made enough + had left over).

I also decided to give the trim a makeover as it badly needed it! So I filled the any holes with a wood filler. I then sanded down the excess after it dried with 120 grit sand paper. I then used white paint and gave the trim two coats of paint.

I then finished off the look with new hardware I had laying around. I wanted something different than the normal knobs that are generally on closet doors. So I decided to go with these pulls. I didn’t bother covering all of the previous holes as the new hardware covered them up. I just had to drill a few new holes.

This is the finished project & I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. It definitely gave this space a fresh new look!

• Carmela

I noticed you have the same bedroom furniture as me. (Saw the night stand) Did you also paint them? If so what kind of paint and sealer did you use? I did mine 2 years ago sanding every nic and cranny but it's wearing off and the polyurethane turned the white paint yellow.

• Cynthia H

Great update! Good advice about mixing the paint. I, too, have had my "mad scientist " moments, mixing colors, finding the perfect shade and not being able to replicate it. Sigh.

• Suzanne

YesYesYes ~ Loving that for the closets esp when you really need to paint room & really unable to. But my bdrm is a green color, yucky, donno what color i would choose, or as you did mix up paint colors!! but not nobs or handles ‘laying around’ But Like this a lot & looks awesome!!