Wood Stove Cabinet Built In

$50

Our wood stove area is an awkward space in our downstairs family room. It’s more in the middle of the room and just a weird little space to decorate around. Also no storage for all of the "stove things"

A few years ago I started changing the hearth by white washing the brick. It was so red I wanted to soften it up.

Here is the after of that project…a lot has even changed since then! The wall color, the floor, the removal of the chair rail…

Ever since, I would always stare at the space above the wood box and think of things I could incorporate to make it more functional.

Shelves always came to mind but I wanted something closed in to hide the ugly items like lighters and maintenance items.

I came up with purchasing a used upper kitchen cabinets and building shelves off of that. It’s the best of both!

I scored this one at the ReStore for $10!

I primed it first to make it easier and hung it up.

I ended up purchasing 3 – 1x12s and some thin trim to frame it out.

I attached the board to the top and bottom and then added the side piece and shelf.

To finish it off I added trim all around and painted the whole thing simply white.

It's now pretty and functional too!

How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Tara Boettger

• Dar9795621
    Dar9795621

How did you attach the shelving part to the wall?

• SharonRose Jarrett
      SharonRose Jarrett

I have seen them attached with L brackets going up. That way the items you sit on the shelf can hide the brackets rather than having the unsightly affect when they are placed on the under side