Easter Bunny Wreath

$4

With Spring a remote inevitability, I thought I’d try my hand at wreath making to dress up our front door.

The rabbit was created by crocheting a 3-stitch tube (called an i-cord) and then feeding wire through the centre of it once the rabbit is bent into shape. Additional wire forms the circular wreath – this time covered in a simple 3-ply rope technique.

It’s a fun little Spring refresh for the front door to tide us over until the snow melts and Spring has sprung!

Gather Materials

• Electrical wireWire cutters
  • Electrical wire stripper
  • Cable ripper
  • Crochet hook (7.0 mm)
  • 3-ply ropeCotton twine
  • Chunky chenille yarn
  • Ribbon
  • Painters tape
  • Clear tape
  • Needle nose pliers (mini)
  • Fishing line / invisable wireFloral tape
  • Pom pom (70% acrylic / 30% polyester)Magnetic wreath hanger
  • Bunny template
  • Chip clips or clamps
  • Wreath hanger
  • Bandaids ((just in case)

Prepare Template

Print out the scaled pdf template and tape the four sections together with clear tape (see details at end to gain access to our library if you’re not already a subscriber).

Harvest wire from a piece of Romex cable or electrical wire. Use the cable ripper to spit the sheath and pull out the white wire (that way it won’t show through the yarn). I used a thicker wire than the one shown above.

Crochet Icord

Make a slip knot and chain 3. Insert hook into second chain and draw up a loop. Insert your hook into the 3rd chain and draw up a loop (3 stitches on hook). Drop loops 2 and 3 off the hook. Be sure to hold onto them: pinch them between your thumb and forefinger.

Chain 1. Put the second loop back onto your hook, yarn over and chain 1. Put the 3rd loop back on your hook, yarn over and chain 1.

Repeat the previous steps for every row. Keep crocheting until you have enough length to go around the entire perimeter of the bunny template. Keep the crochet hook in the work so you can add on if need be.

Measure the length of the icord and transfer that measurement to the electrical wire. Add on more than you think you will need to allow for for overlap. Cut wire.

Set aside the icord while you form the wire structure for the bunny.

Bend Wire

Start where the pom pom tail will eventually go and bend the wire around the bunny template until you meet back to where you started. Overlap the wire and tie it together where the tail gets attached. Leave a few inches and cut the end.

Use the wire stripper to expose a few inches of the copper on both ends. The wire can be sharp if you accidentally scrape against it as you’re removing the plastic sheathing from the wire, so be cautious. 

Keep some antibiotic ointment and bandaids handy (I didn’t get through this step unscathed)!

Add the iCord

Wrap green tape around one end of the wire and insert it into the i-cord. If you skip this step, it can catch on the yarn. Push the i-cord around the wire structure until the ends meets up to where you started.

Tear the end of the floral tape and push the icord back until the two ends meet.

Fasten with Floral Tape

Push the i-cord temporarily away from the ends so they can be fastened with the floral tape. Overlap the exposed copper and secure with clamps to free up both hands. Wind the floral tape back and forth around the copper wire until securely fastened.

Cut the end of the yarn leaving a long length to weave the two edges together seamlessly and tie on the pom pom. Use the transparent tape to wrap the end of the yarn, like the end of a shoe lace. This will stiffen the end enough to thread it around the open stitches. Weave the end between the loops all the way around the tube and pull tight to close.

Knot yarn ends together.

Attach Pom Pom

Tie yarn ends around the elastic of the pom pom and knot tightly a few times with an overhand knot.

Then wrap the elastic around the i-cord and the pom pom several times until it is fastened into position. Knot and weave the end of the yarn through the tube to hide it. Use the needle nose pliers to grab the end and pull it out as you go. Cut end.

Set the bunny aside while you work on the wreath.

Wreath

Create a circle that’s 22″ in diameter out of another piece of electrical wire (cut extra to overlap in the middle).

Turning the end of the rope counter clockwise will open up the three plies to insert the wire into the space.

Continue until the wire is almost completely wrapped.

Overlap at Centre

Push both ends of the rope away from the ends of the wire temporarily. Overlap the wire in the middle and clamp (I’m using two chip clips). Apply the floral tape around the two pieces of wire to secure.

Move the rope ends back again so they meet in the middle. Weave the rope ends together.

Bind the rope ends with the cotton twine. Form a loop with the end of the rope and tie an eye splice (there's a video on my blog; link at the end of this post).

Wrap Twine and Form Circle

Use twine once again to hide the ends of the rope and cut ends. At this point, using a magnetic wreath hanger on our metal door, I hung the wreath to form the circle. If you have a large circular garbage can, it can help you as you shape the circle. I eyeballed mine without a form.

Fasten Bunny To Rope

Use the fishing line to secure the bunny at three points (the two ears and left foot). Double knot the line and trim ends.

Wrap super chunky yarn around both the rope hoop and bunny, Knot at the back and tuck in the ends.

Hang on Outside Door

Here, it is hanging inside until the weather warms up enough to relocate it outside! Hopefully that will be before Easter!

Free Pattern

Get your Craft Mojo on! Join us to gain access to the free pattern. If you’re not already an e-mail subscriber, you can become one here.  When you confirm your e-mail, you’ll receive a welcome message with the password to our new freebie library at Birdz on the Fly.

You can also follow us on social media (copy & paste in browser) :

Pinterest: http://bit.ly/BirdzPIN

Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB

YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT

Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Birdz of a Feather

• Rona

Can you put copper wire through it as your making this, so you will have lights and then hide the battery box.

• Birdz of a Feather

As this is my first wreath, I've never electrified one so can't advise on that. If you're thinking about bare copper wire, I wouldn't put anything combustible around it. However, it might be doable if the lights were LED and rated to be covered in that manner. I would just be cautious to do your homework first and only use products that are safe for that type of use :)

• Emmawilliams1

Why not just tight braid the bunny and circle.. Better yet, use an embroidery hoop for circle and cover it or dont cover it...You can always freehand a bunny form...I do all my things freehand...computer doesn;t have the fancy template blah blah...Mine is a dinosaur {and I recently freehanded a dinosaur also} Have a safe COVID free HOPPY EASTER TO ALL!!! Yes, I said HOPPY...heeheehee

• Birdz of a Feather

It's funny you should mention the hoop Emma because I did another version of this with a hoop :).