Circa 1940 Desk Makeover

$15

I was getting tired of having a laptop on our dining table and decided we needed a little desk for the main floor. I found a 1940s desk online with lots of character, but it was a little tired and in need of a refresh.

Tired old desk

The first thing I did was re-stain the top. I started by sanding it with a 120 grit sandpaper, but it wasn’t taking off all the finish. I was beginning to think it may be veneer, as the more I sanded the smoother it became. So I decided to try an 80 grit paper and it took the stain right off! And thankfully, it was not veneer!

Sanding

I gave the desk a good cleaning with TSP. It was filthy!! Nearly 80 years of furniture polish build up is my guess. I’ve worked with a lot of old furniture in my time, but this one was probably the dirtiest!

Oh so dirty!!

I stained the top using gel stain, applied with an old t-shirt. I wanted to use a colour that would blend well with the other wood pieces in that space, so I went with Provincial. I normally go with darker colours – but I think the colour came out pretty nicely! Once dry I sealed it with a clear finish – 2 coats – applied with a brush.

Gel stain

I wasn’t entirely sure what I wanted to do with the base – but because of all the natural wood pieces in the space, I really wanted to go with something lighter and brighter for contrast. So I went with white! After a light sanding, I painted 2 coats of primer. I know many people groan at the thought of primer. And I was one of those people for many years. But the way I see it, primer is far less expensive than the paints I use. And no matter what, I always need to do 3 coats. I have to clean brushes, etc after each coat anyway, so primer is not really any more labour. And it really cuts down the cost of a makeover project!

Primer

After the primer, I did a final coat of white mineral paint. Then I hand painted the drawer pulls with a gold paint I had picked up at a thrift store. It ended up matching well with the stain on the top.

Gold hardware

When I put everything in place I could see the cords from my lamp and laptop hanging down behind the desk. And knowing that this would bug me (more than it should) I decided to add a few cable clips to the back to run the cords along.  

Then I added two small L brackets to hang the block thingy from the laptop adapter. This step only took a few minutes and really made everything look neat and tidy.  

And here it is after it’s makeover! I really like the outcome. Now I just need to makeover a chair to match. 😊

• Heje

Did you consider using some dark wax to highlight the details on the front? I just wondered even though I like it the way it is.

• Valerie Burge

Thanks! I did consider it, but decided I liked how fresh and clean it is. I may add dark wax later as I tend to change my mind a lot. LOL

• Robyn Garner

Why bother to clean brushes between painting coats? All you need to do is wrap them in plastic wrap and they'll stay soft until your next coat.

• Valerie Burge

I do that with rollers, but I find when I do that with brushes there's usually paint 'skin' when I use it the next time. Sometimes several days may go by before I do the next coat.

• Rachel

It is beautiful!!! Can you tell me what you used to seal the top of the desk?

Thank you for sharing your talent & g8 pics!!!

• Valerie Burge

Thank you, Rachel! I used Varathane Triple Thick one coat clear finish in satin. I like it because it's very thick compared to most clear coats.