Asked on Feb 28, 2020

How can I clean the blackened bottom of a pan?

Johnavallance82HomeroadBecky at Flipping the Flip
+17

• Agnes Chrzanowska

check that pin ..it will for sure help https://www.pinterest.com/pin/185210603410419939/

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Linda, that looks like oil on vinyl and/or leather to me. Dawn dishsoap and very hot water would be a good place to start along with a good hard core scrubby thing.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Start with soaking in hot soapy water and blue Dawn to loosen. You might even boil part of the water. Then try one of these:

Barkeeper's Friend and a scrubber. You can also make a paste of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. If you have any marble paste, it should work too.

• Mogie

Agree with Kathy. First soak in dawn and then use Barkeepers Friend. I have make a paste before also but have used bleach in place of the peroxide. The paste should be thick enough to cline to the vertical sides. It has to hold itself in place to work best. Let the paste sit on the pan for a few hours while you do other stuff. Rinse well.

• Annie

What is that on your pan?

• Lifestyles Homes

Before you try the above-suggested methods, please know that a Teflon-Coated aluminum pan flakes-off the Teflon after it has been “burned” and we aren’t supposed to ingest Teflon, nor aluminum,

I would treat my health to a new pan at Walmart, where they are $7.48.

• It looks like a Pioneer Woman pan, pretty! I use a product similar to Bar Keeper's Friend, called Cerama Bryte. It's recommended for glass stoves, glass and mirrors, sinks and stainless pots and pans. I would be tempted try it on a small area to see if it works if something like Dawn does not. It removes the worst messes on my stovetop and there's not a scratch...

• Dee

Spray with oven cleaner. Put in a sealed zip lock bag. Place outside in sun and let stand overnight. Keep pot in a sealed ziplock for at least 48 hours. It will wash right off after that.

• Vimarhonor

Because of the painted finish I would suggest calling the manufacturer for possible suggestions.

• Try making a paste with baking soda and using steel wool

• Cathyand Darren Lewis

WD 40 AND BAKING SODA

• Lindsay Aratari

You could try soaking it in baking soda

• Christina Faye Repurposed

Brillo pads work great!

• Cheryl A

Here you go. A quick video to help you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Xb5vMoWi0

• Danielle

I use Barkeeper’s Friend. Works like a charm.

buy it on Amazon. 👍🏼

• Janice

Apply a paste of three parts baking soda to one part water and leave on the bottom of the pan for 10-15 minutes, then scrub well with a nylon scrubby or sponge. Most of the blackened matter will be removed. You may have to repeat, depending on how burned on the pan is. You didn’t say what type of pan it was, but this procedure should work well on copper, stainless or even cast iron pans. If cast iron, be sure to dry well afterwards.

• Gloria

Dissolve 1/4 cup of Cascade Complete Gel and a squirt of Dawn in hot water, and let bottom of pan soak in mixture for several hours, then use a scrubber on it. If it doesn't all come off, scrub the remainder with a mix of Bon Ami (which you'll find on the shelf next to the Bar Keeper's Friend) and a little Super Clean which comes in a purple spray bottle and can be found in the automotive aisle at Walmart or most auto parts stores. RINSE WELL!

• Bar Keeper's Friend with a scrubby or TSP substitute powder and a scrubby will help.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Try Barkeepers Friend and a Brillo Pad. May take more than one go.