Easy Magnetic Storage Bins to Organize Your Kitchen

$5

Kitchens tend to be a catch-all for all sorts of things. If yours is anything like mine, there never seems to be enough space on the counters or in the junk drawer. These magnetic bins can help with that!

For this project, I used a 3-pack of small bins, some magnets, and some hot glue. I ended up using two types of magnets, the small disc magnets which work well for lightweight applications, and a couple heavy duty hooks that are sting enough to hold heavier weights.

(Discs are from Dollar Tree, hooks were on hand already, but I believe they were from Harbor Freight or Hone Depot for just a few bucks for a 4 pack. The bins were from Walmart for $0.80/3, and come in tons of sizes)

First, I hot glued the disc magnets to the back side of the basket. These alone should be strong enough to hold a few lightweight items.

If you need a little more strength and stability, you can insert the hook magnets into the sides of your bins as pictured, and together with the disc magnets, the bin will be very stable. I do recommend using both instead of only the strong hooks, for a couple reasons. The discs provide a flat surface to make up for the difference of a rim around the bin, they help hold the center of the basket against your fridge (or other metallic surface), and they can easily hold the empty basket in place while you secure the hooks.

One of these baskets is being used for kid cup storage. My kids are always misplacing cups and they keep getting new ones out every time they want a sip of water. Cups left on the table or counter are often knocked over by endless crafting, or mixed in with other dirty dishes. Now, between meals, they can get a small sip, then put their cup back here so we can hopefully limit the cups to one per day.

(We will actually keep this bin on the side of the fridge, not on the freezer door, but it was placed here for the photo to make more sense. Haha!)

I am using the other two bins for dry erase markers and letter magnets, but the possibilities are practically endless! Pens, post-its, twist ties, and bag clips are all great candidates and will clear much needed space from your junk drawer!

Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th

• Jill Gonyea
    Jill Gonyea

Awesome idea I'm going to give it a try

• Julia
    Julia

Why didn't I think of that?? I just bought some (somewhat pricey) accessories for my metal rolling craft cart, but I bet I could have just made them myself for a whole lot less, doing something like this, maybe using those stronger neodymium magnets to hold more weight.

Thanks for the tutorial!