Old Window Transformation

$10

I have several old windows that I just love and I finally decided to give one a makeover! Using paint and some transfers can completely transform an old window into a beautiful decor piece for your home!

Here is what I started with. Even on it's own I think it's a pretty cool decor piece with it's chippy white paint and charm but I wanted a little something more.

I started by scraping and chipping off any loose paint. When doing this with old windows, or anything with old paint, make sure you are very careful and take the proper precautions in case the paint contains lead.

Next I decided to layer on a bunch of different colors for a "Springtime" look. I used chalk and clay based paints and let each color dry before I went in with the next. I sealed the entire frame with Polycrylic once the paint was all dry.

I also added two eye hooks to the window to be able to hang or display it multiple ways. I drilled pilot holes and then carefully screwed the eyes in by hand.

When using a transfer, make sure you check and decide on placement first before removing the backing and applying. I decided I wanted this piece in the upper corner of my window. Now, I'm going to share a mistake I made with you... I've only used transfers on painted furniture and this was my first time applying one to glass. When I removed the backing I wasn't careful enough when placing the transfer and a little bit stuck to the glass before it was in the exact spot I wanted so I had to just go with it. So, be very careful when placing it on glass! You may only get one chance before it decides to stick! Once your transfer is down, use the included tool to gently apply pressure, or "scrape" the entire transfer. Slowly pull off the backing to ensure the entire piece has actually transferred to the glass. If you notice an area that is still sticking to the backing, lightly scrape that area again.

You could hang this using just the eye hooks and screws or you could add some wire or rope depending on the look you're going for.

All done! Once I had the floral transfer on the glass I really wasn't feeling the vibrant colors with it so I lightly dry brushed the entire frame with a pretty off white color and it complimented the transfer much better in my opinion. (Can you see where I didn't get the larger transfer all the way to the edge like I originally wanted? 😂😂😂)

These windows could also be used as a really cool room divider if you have a few. I will probably hang this one up on my mantle. If you enjoyed this project, check out my Instagram for even more!

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day

To see more: //instagram.com/beautymark_furniture

• Heje

I like it! It could also work with some inspiring words added to it? Was that a thought or a future add on.

• Jeannie Carle

This is lovely!

• Robyn Garner

Nice! Another fyi - clean glass with alcohol before applying paint, stencils, appliques, etc. It removes grease and fingerprints.