DIY Accent Wall

16 materials
$150

If you're looking for an easy DIY accent wall that has a large impact and offers functionality, this project is for you!

Watch a full video tutorial HERE. And for more DIY project inspiration check out my Instagram account! Let's get started!

Materials

After making sure your board is cut to the correct length, you'll need to stain it. I used a color called Aged Wheat. I ended up using a sponge applicator brush and an old rag to wipe off the excess.

Next, decide where you will want to start with your accent paint color on the wall and start painting. Remember to give your paint a good stir! I used a color called Petrol Blue by Dutch Boy. I use an angled brush for precision. I'd suggest removing outlet covers prior to painting because it's the easiest way to make sure you're actually precise. I used a roller for the majority of the wall.

Once your accent color is on the wall you need to find your studs. Mark where they are so you can screw into them when attaching your board to the wall. You'll also need to make sure you use a level to ensure that your board is straight. We used four screws to attach our 83 inch board.

Next, use either a tape measure or level to help you mark where your hooks will go. We ended up using five of our six hooks. The hooks came with the hardware we needed to attach them. That's it! Low cost, huge impact, and lots of added functionality. I hope you enjoy this project as much as we did!

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

3 of 23 comments
  • C C on Mar 31, 2021

I have used this tecnique a number of times with a little different twist. The bedroom picture, I used a wallpaper boarder. I sponge painted the top part using a light blue painted watered down and using the same paint (without watering it) on the bottom. The hallway, I used chair rail moulding.

• D wright D wright on Apr 01, 2021

Paining half a wall one color and the other part another color reminds me of my many years in the Army. That is the way offices and rooms were painted. The MP’s were green and gold, Infantry was 11B Blue and white, AG was Dark blue and Gold or yellow. Dark color on the bottom and lighter colors on the top. Who would have know the military was to be so far ahead of itself so many years after I had left it. Of course it wasn’t a decorating plan, it was a health and cleanliness reason. The bunks and desks and chairs were against the darker color and they were easier to keep clean and easier to retouch as needed for the inspections. A smudge didn’t show up as easily, either. All for health and wellness.

Later, I have painted, tiled, and/or papered rooms that way but it was at times with remarks from my husband, also a career Soldier. The former First Sergeant had his say. I made sure the colors were not Adjutant General, Military Intelligence, or Artillery colors so that there were no reminders of the old days on the walls (our glory boards were neatly packed away decades ago with only a few photos of our favorite places on the walls).

We will be moving in a few months back to a warmer climate. Perhaps it will be time to think about the double paint scheme and dig out some of the things we haven’t looked at for years as we down size our possessions to the bare essentials. It will be our last decorating time and might as well make it meaningful.

Next