Goodwill TV Stand Makeover! Boring to Fabulous!

$18

I wish that I could show the person who donated this TV stand the after picture! It looks amazing. I initially bought this for my daughter’s room over but think I will keep it!

Here is a before and after pic

The TV stand cost $18. It is very heavy! My husband and I struggled to get it in his Jeep.

Ready for the ride home!

First I looked on line for an inspiration piece. Then talked to my daughter about what she liked and didn’t like. Below is the inspiration picture.

Inspiration Piece Picture

It was in very good shape except for a small area that looked like a burn. I sanded it down along with the rest of it. Should have sanded more than I did because it’s laminate and was slick.

Damage on Top Corner
Sanding Damaged Corner

I took the legs and drawer pulls off. Then I was ready to paint. Luckily I had Navy paint and gold spray paint already!

Spray Painted Legs and Pulls

Below are my supplies. I make my own chalk paint with Plaster of Paris. I mix paint, Plaster of Paris and water. I use chalk paint because it sticks better. Sanded between coats. Last coat was just paint. Then polyurethane to protect.

Supplies

You can get chalk paint recipes on line.

First Coat On Base
First Coat on Drawer and Shelves

Above is the base, drawer and shelves with the first coat. I thought putting a dark color over another dark color would be easy but it’s not. Took 3 coats and probably could have used another.

Supplies For Drawer Design

Now time to decorate the drawer. I thought about using a stencil but because of the length of the drawer I decided it would be hard to match up the pattern. So I decided to use painters tape for my pattern.

Close Up of Pencil Mark

Once I had my first piece of tape in the center at an angle, I measured every 2 inches top and bottom and marked it with a pencil for the next piece.

First row of tape done
Adding second layer

I went the other way to form a diamond shape. This was the easy part because you don’t have to measure just line it up corner to corner.

Spray Painted With Gold Paint

I put two light coats of gold spray paint over the tape to fill the diamond design.

After Removing The Tape

Removed the tape and here it is!

I have always wanted to try the painters tape pattern thing and glad I did. It wasn’t hard once I got started.

Put Back Together

Then we put it all back together! We couldn’t be happier with how it turned out!

AFTER Decorated!

Hope you like it too!

• Cheryl

How can I reuse old clip-on earrings that don't have a match?

• Kelly

I arrange them on hair barrettes; Use good glue or other method to attach all kinds of jewelry to new barrette clips (available at craft stores) or old barrettes for new beautiful ones.

• Sheila

No picture of the finished product?

• Suzanne

There are a couple. Not sure why you don't see them. Try again.